Question: Mollies other fish and salt

judiecheeks

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just bought 3 mollies. Two female 1 male. The females are a black and a dalmation, but I am not sure what kind the male is. he has some spots, some solid black and a yellow tailfin. The male and the female dalmation have already strted mating. will the male mate with the black molly too? Also, I have 15 white clouds and 2 plecos. If I add salt to the tank will it harm the others, and if I don't will it harm the mollies? My tank is 10 gallons but i'm getting a 50 soon. will they be too crowded in there?

and sorrry this seems to be in the wrong thread area.... I'm a newb here lol

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Most people here advise against the use of salt for various reasons. Mollies do not need salt and salt will most likely irritate and/or harm your other fish.

-Lisa

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
cant argue with that answer and yes the mollys will mate , even with platies

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

I would leave out the salt because the other fish won't like it (the Pleco for sure - I'm not sure about the white clouds). My Mollys are in a brackish tank now and doing great but they were in a no-salt tank before that and did great there too. The Mollys don't need salt to thrive.

Yes, Mollys will mate with a different color or type of Molly. You should have 1,000,000 Mollys soon lol.

I'm glad you are upgrading soon, the ten gallon does sound very crowded. In fact if your Pleco is a common pleco he will grow larger than the tank itself.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello and welcome to FL judiecheeks!

Adding aquarium salt does not replicate marine conditions, it replicates marinade conditions. There is much more to recreating brackish or marine water than just adding basic aquarium salt. People often say that certain livebearers like mollys enjoy brackish conditions because they are often found in estuaries and other places where brackish water is prevalent.

The truth is, they are found in brackish and freshwater conditions, they have a wide variance in the type of water and PH that they live in, and are very hardy and adapt well to changes in environment. This is why they are such prolific creatures.

I suggest against using any type of salt, sometimes less is more, if you know what I mean. Take care!

judiecheeks

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thx a million

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
judicheeks welcome to FishLore! Hope you don't mind I moved your thread You'll soon be an old hand at placing threads where you want them
You are getting excellent advice and I think everything has been covered.
carol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads