Question: I decided to build a 75 gallon stand myself...

QCAquaholic

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had Lowes cut the 2x4's to length for me and made sure everything was flush and made sure I had right angles when screwing the pieces together. The end product ended up not being perfectly rectangular but it is level though. It's more 87ish degrees on two ends and 93ish degrees on the other two. Would it still be OK to hold a full tank?

Stand.jpg

Best Answer - View waterpat's answer

Fishproblem

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
while there still isn't a tank on it, throw some well made leveling feet on the bottom. you can get them at the hardware store, or buy online. It's worth the extra hour or so of installing and adjusting them. You'll never have an uneven waterline, and the added sense of security is priceless. AND you can take the stand wherever you go, if you do ever want to move the tank.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would put the tank on it and make sure all 4 corners are on the 2x4’s if there is any overlap I would straighten it. If it sits right I don’t see it bein a problem

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Since it is level, I do not think leveling feet address your issue. The issue is that the corners are not square. A 75 gallon tank weights more than 600 lbs. That force applied to something that is not perfectly aligned could direct the load in a direction that is not strong. Is three degrees enough to be a problem? I do not know.

It also looks like the stand is held together with fairly small screws. If the stand is not perfectly square and force is applied to those screws in a lateral direction, will they come loose? Again, I do not know.

I have the sense that kallililly1973 has some experience with building things. I do not. I suspect he is probably right if the load is centered on the 2x4s. But if it has any give or wobble at all, I would be concerned.

Fishproblem

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorg67 said:
Since it is level, I do not think leveling feet address your issue. The issue is that the corners are not square. A 75 gallon tank weights more than 600 lbs. That force applied to something that is not perfectly aligned could direct the load in a direction that is not strong. Is three degrees enough to be a problem? I do not know.

It also looks like the stand is held together with fairly small screws. If the stand is not perfectly square and force is applied to those screws in a lateral direction, will they come loose? Again, I do not know.

I have the sense that kallililly1973 has some experience with building things. I do not. I suspect he is probably right if the load is centered on the 2x4s. But if it has any give or wobble at all, I would be concerned.
oof. misread the heck out of that first post. serves me right for trying to have a coherent thought before noon! agree fully with this and kallililly1973

waterpat

Reaction score
100% totally fine...actually overbuilt, which isn't a bad thing. Looks like the old "rocket engineer" design from RC, of which there are probably hundreds if not thousands of stands like this out there.

If you were to "skin" it with plywood, this would also completely eliminate the possibility of racking (tipping or twisting).

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
waterpat said:
. . . If you were to "skin" it with plywood, this would also completely eliminate the possibility of racking (tipping or twisting).
I agree, especially the back and sides. I assume there will be a shelf on bottom. The back could have one or more holes in it for power cords, air lines, etc.

OP
QCAquaholic

QCAquaholic

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
waterpat said:
100% totally fine...actually overbuilt, which isn't a bad thing. Looks like the old "rocket engineer" design from RC, of which there are probably hundreds if not thousands of stands like this out there.

If you were to "skin" it with plywood, this would also completely eliminate the possibility of racking (tipping or twisting).
By "skin" you mean give it walls I assume?

waterpat

Reaction score
QCAquaholic said:
By "skin" you mean give it walls I assume?
Yes. Plywood on the outside. You can easily cut doors into the plywood, paint it, etc.

Or were you wanting the leave the stand open?

Basil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Agree with the skin. When I asked my
husband (a framing carpenter by trade) to build me a stand, I told him he could leave it open. He said “nope, it needs the plywood to keep it from twisting and leaning under the weight”. So I deferred to his wisdom.....this time lol!
So the front is open with plywood sides and a half back for cords.
86194351-D8A1-4A03-B02F-D6BBF753C9F6.jpeg

Utar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have built two of my own stands, a 29g stand, and recently a 55g stand. You need 3/4" marine plywood for the top. This will even it out, I overlap my plywood top so that it has room on the side for setting food containers, etc. Stuff used on a regular basis. You also should have a center brace, that is how I build mine. The center brace for a large tank makes the stand more secure. You can also use the center brace to set in doors.

55g stand.jpg
29g stand.jpg

CHJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd put some gym mat on it before putting the tank on it and consider some breathable thick cloth/other mat under it to protect the wood floor.
I would hesitate to use yoga mat under as it doesn't breath and I'd worry about spills staying and staining the wood floor. I spill around my tanks a lot with pails of water.

Here is the 75 stand my wife built.
stand710.jpg

I love the look of the heavy lag bolts.
The gym mat only shows up on the bottom one but it is under both.

OP
QCAquaholic

QCAquaholic

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Utar said:
You also should have a center brace, that is how I build mine. The center brace for a large tank makes the stand more secure. You can also use the center brace to set in doors.
I did plan on that earlier today.

OP
QCAquaholic

QCAquaholic

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wasn't happy that the stand had a slight wobble, and the corners weren't 90 degrees. So yesterday morning I decided to disassemble and reassemble it. Today I added the center supports and added the skins to the sides and back. Now all there is left are the doors and paint. THEN I can finally set the tank up!

Stand.jpg

New Threads