Question: How long do you watch your fish/tank for?

kazvar

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
2-3 minutes every 1-2 hours

Me I love watching my little guppies swim around the plants as a little school like they are in some giant pond. And I also like watching my snails do laps around the small tank, sometimes I think they make more laps then the fish.

I go the the tank every hour or so and watch for a few minutes, I count my fish and snails and watch them both doing what they do. Lately the fish just go right to the top of the water when I come by. I don't feed them when I come by but I enjoy watching them think I will feed them. I guess that is a little sadistic of me, Oh well.

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I watch my tank for about 5 minutes every 2-3 hours.I like to watch the male silver tip tetra chase the female silver tip tetra.Then the angelfish are always in a school swimming through the plants.The black skirt tetras do the same thing as the angels.Sometimes they even swim with the angelfish!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Kazvar,

I spend the biggest part of the day watching and taking care of my fish. I'm never more relaxed than when I'm in my fish room.

Ken

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't watch them nearly as long as I'd like because my daughter doesn't like sharing my attention. Every time I stop in front of the tanks she runs over and pushes in front of me--it's really annoying. However, I do watch them several times an hour from across the room.

-Lisa

kazvar

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I forgot to mention I live in dorms here in Okinawa Japan, and my fish are always at the corner of my eye on the top of the clothing drawers. Only other place to put a tank was by the sink of on my bed. Didn't think by the sink was a good idea.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I probably spend at least 1 1/2 hours daily during the week and 2-3 hours on Saturday and Sunday. It's my "zen" time. And the more I interact with my fish, the more they recognize me and react to me, so it's worth the time.

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I spend more time with my fish than almost anything else!!!!!!...I usually have a bird on my shoulder while doing this......mutitasking....lol...at its best!!!!!!!!!!

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I spend at least half an hour after feeding my fish to watch them eat, then swim around. Very relaxing during a tiring and stressful day.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I usually watch them while I feed my six month old baby. Sometimes, I sit him on my lap and we both watch the fish swim for awhile, until his attention strays towards his toys. He laughs while watching them swim around and then he reaches for them and they dart away. After he goes to bed, I'll usually watch them for awhile after I feed them as they relax and calm me down after a long day of work and being a daddy.

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to watch my fishies about 2 to 3 hours daily. But I have been away form home for a year now....can you believe that, a whole year away from your fishies...it's harsh

Last edited:

jeniferdwn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well, I look at mine at home everytime i go through the kitchen which is quite often and I sit at the bar and watch them as I have time especially after the kids go to bed. The one at the office though.....it sits right in front of my desk, so I can actually see them the whole time I'm at my desk!

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I watch them every time my 2 year old daughter takes me to the tank and says fish. Then she just sits in my lap till she gets bored and on to the next thing usaual about 3-4 min. and that happens about 15-20 times a day.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i'd like to watch my fish more....but then nothing would get done around the house and it would look even worse than it already does! haha. well....sometimes i can't help but check in on the corys (the sniffers) and the bettas...who are both in the lower level of my house. i'd say gwen gets the most of my time, she's on the kitchen counter!

well it's not my daughter who stops me from watching the fish, she watches with me, it's more like my hubby! he makes fun of me that i just sit there and stare, and my eyes are glazed over, and drool is coming out of my mouth lol. so cruel.

i usually watch them for maybe 20 min after my girlie is asleep.....and i try to make hubby watch with me. he does for like 45 seconds. sigh.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
We have 3 tanks in the living room that you can see when sitting on the sofa so one of these is always getting watched by someone. We also have a big beanbag in front of the big tanks which is the most popular tank in the house. There are 2 tanks in the kitchen 1 to watch whilst cooking 1 to watch whilst doing the washing up! There is a tank in the bedroom which the Dog sits at watches for hours on end. The most amusing tank is at the top of the stairs right out side the bathroom door, my hubby and step son both prop the bathroom door open to watch the fish whilst their on the loo! Me i sit on the floor for ages watching them! So all in all most of the day somone is staring into a fish tank be it person or dog lol

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Considering I have 4 tanks in my living room now (in a small apartment lol), it's hard for me to do anything without seeing them. I especially like looking at my planted tank because not only do I like to watch the fish but I like to stare at the plants to try to figure out how much they've grown .

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i'd like to watch my fish more....but then nothing would get done around the house and it would look even worse than it already does! haha. well....sometimes i can't help but check in on the corys (the sniffers) and the bettas...who are both in the lower level of my house. i'd say gwen gets the most of my time, she's on the kitchen counter!

well it's not my daughter who stops me from watching the fish, she watches with me, it's more like my hubby! he makes fun of me that i just sit there and stare, and my eyes are glazed over, and drool is coming out of my mouth lol. so cruel.

i usually watch them for maybe 20 min after my girlie is asleep.....and i try to make hubby watch with me. he does for like 45 seconds. sigh.
I can totally relate. My boyfriend thinks I'm insane because I'm so into the fish. Especially through the ICH breakout I had. I would be all concerned over the fish and their behavior and would ask him to look at them to see if he saw them acting strangely too he would just say, "They're fine" without looking. GRRRRR.

steveredlakefallsmn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i to like to watch my fish,i always play were is my pleco,or wheres my albinocory,my wife says i spend more time looking at my tanks than i do looking into her eyes,she even tells me she thinks she can see gills growing in my neck,ha ha.most of the time is about 20 30 mins,between tanks and thats at least twice a day.lots of fun my fish are,and so relaxing,aaahhhh.

mcurtissdsu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello Kazvar,

I spend the biggest part of the day watching and taking care of my fish. I'm never more relaxed than when I'm in my fish room.

Ken
I want a fish room!! How amazing that would be!

I watch my fish almost any chance I get. I work a 9-5 job so when I go home after work, I watch every 30 minutes or so...pretty much whenever I look in the direction of their tank. Most nights I'll still and stare at them for like 30 minutes before I go to bed.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Huh... well I have a tank on my desk. I spend maybe 30mins to 1hr lookin at that every working day...
About 20mins with the big tank in the morning....
About 30mins with the home betta in the evening...
And about 2hrs staring/feeding the big tank after work It's 140L at the end of my bed. I often lay on my bed and just watch them with the room lights off so they can't see me. On weekends I'll go sit on the floor infront of the tank for 30min stints about 10x a day lol
My parents are trying to get me to set up a "natural" tank outside so they can watch it from the lounge. We have a long lounge suite with 2 recliners and a footrest outside, and a big tv and dvd player.

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I look at my fish before work and find each fish, shrimp, and snail. Then after work I'll usually have an adult beverage and watch them for half an hour or so unwinding from my long day.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom