Question Guppies vs. Mollies

Nicholaa

Reaction score
I moved my 4 Juvenile Mollies to my 10 gallon Community tank. Since then, my 2 M Guppies have been terrorizing/chasing my oldest Molly (who I believe is a female since I do not see a gonopodium present and she's about 1.5" and quite possibly sexually mature).

The M Guppies' gonopodiums keep "extending" as if they are trying to mate with my Molly. Could they be actually trying to do that if she is a female? I would have thought that two entirely different species wouldn't show any sexual interest, let alone attempt to mate with a different species.

Or... could this be male Guppy aggression? I never knew the Guppies to be aggressive fish, so this is kind of disturbing me. I don't want the Guppies to bully the Mollies into stress-death...

Thoughts?

schiz

Reaction score
Its my understanding, someone let me know if I have it wrong, but all livebearers - guppies, mollies, platys, swordtails can crossbreed.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
From what I understand from alot of people on different forums... male guppies are a bunch or horndogs and will try to mate with just about everything under the sun.

jadedthought

Reaction score
I heard that too, my mom told me that my silver lyretail mollies and my sunfire platy will try to cross-breed, the platy hasn't taken interest yet but it should be interesting to see what happens when I get more platies

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
The contrary doesn't bear thinking about: male molly trying it on with female platy!

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had my male platy try to mate with my male betta! Yes, livebearer males will try to mate with just about any pretty fish. Whether or not it works, lol. The real question here is if your fish are getting stressed out by it. If they are fine and playful then it would be fine!

--R

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
In my case it's getting to be a bit of a disaster. My sailfin male is so towards the female that they spend their time in hiding. He really harrasses them. Problem became worse since I cranked the temperature to treat for a skin parasite they had (perhaps still have). Am getting so worried about all the females - wouldn't be surprised if he killed a couple - that am thinking of putting him in my still uncycled tank in isolation and hope he survives it.

Joy44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Is your male to female ratio alright? There should be 2 or three females per male. Maybe you need more females.

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
armadillo said:
In my case it's getting to be a bit of a disaster. My sailfin male is so towards the female that they spend their time in hiding. He really harrasses them. Problem became worse since I cranked the temperature to treat for a skin parasite they had (perhaps still have). Am getting so worried about all the females - wouldn't be surprised if he killed a couple - that am thinking of putting him in my still uncycled tank in isolation and hope he survives it.
Do you happen to have a breeding net? You could put the male in there, in his regular tank, to give the girls a break for a day. Sometimes time outs are helpful for aggression and at least it would help the girls stress level!

--R

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. I have the net. But everytime I really considered doing it, I remembered how he trusted me and played with the net and stuff, and how the first time I will catch him, he'll never trust me again. Too much of a softie.

Anyway, my hesitation meant that my boyfriend took the initiative when I was away, and put him in an entirely different tank (2 degree hotter, 2 pH lower!). I explained that fish hated change, and that he's put him through a lot by doing that. He meant well, it was really sweet that he was that concerned about the females.

Moved male seems OK. Leaving him with the plecos for a little while so avoid too many changes at once. Am thinking of adding a couple of female mollies to that tank. Don't want to leave him on his own.

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Insert Quote
I moved my 4 Juvenile Mollies to my 10 gallon Community tank. Since then, my 2 M Guppies have been terrorizing/chasing my oldest Molly (who I believe is a female since I do not see a gonopodium present and she's about 1.5" and quite possibly sexually mature).

The M Guppies' gonopodiums keep "extending" as if they are trying to mate with my Molly. Could they be actually trying to do that if she is a female? I would have thought that two entirely different species wouldn't show any sexual interest, let alone attempt to mate with a different species.

Or... could this be male Guppy aggression? I never knew the Guppies to be aggressive fish, so this is kind of disturbing me. I don't want the Guppies to bully the Mollies into stress-death...
I'd say definitely he wants to mate with her. The same thing is happenig with my mollies/guppes.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Honestly, what are livebearer males like?! No means no, fishie!

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
armadillo said:
Honestly, what are livebearer males like?! No means no, fishie!
No is not in their vocabulary! At least my male seems to respect the "age of consent" :p he hasn't tried anything fishy with my littlest girl in the tank. Lets hope it stays that way!

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Ooooh, that's a good one. I'll have to see what he does when we introduce some of his fry in the tank. I'll wait another couple of months I think, or sexual harassment would be the least of my worries. He'd see them as lunch, more like! I have to admit actually, they've been very good (the adults) and haven't eaten a single fry.

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I guess it is possible on the rare occasion. I had 1 female guppy and 2 males in my 67galtank, the female never even fell pregnant! Perhaps it had to do with the space...
But anyway i lost her due to ick.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom