Question Giant Common Pleco and MTS ?

Remo032

Reactions
First let me say I love this forum and can usually find all the info I need, however I have been unable to find anything related to my question so I'm making my first post sorry if it's in the wrong spot. I have a 16-17" Common Pleco nickname "Dozer" in a 75 Gal tank 4' long with sand substrate and I was thinking about MTS to help turn / clean the deeper sand where Dozer can't really get to it and likes to pile it up. I know, try not to let the substrate get to deep in spots but with a pleco this size that likes to dig it's impossible. He can take the sand from 4 -5" deep and take it down to bare glass in just a couple of minutes or less. I am running a pre-filter to help keep the sand out of my canister. So on to my question Will the MTS hurt Dozer when he eventually sucks them into his mouth while digging / filtering sand. I'm just worried that they could cause problems if he digests them or if they tear up his mouth while eating or get stuck somewhere they shouldn't. Also forgot to mention my tank stock, I have three 3" clown Loaches, three 3.5" Jewel Cichlids, one 6" Male Peacock Cichlid, three 4" female Peacock Cichlids, and one 8" Catfish I have not had much luck in figuring out what type of catfish he is so if anybody knows please chime in. Please ignore the scratches in the glass, its an old tank. Planning on upgrading to a 125 gal. 6' long tank within the next year or two. Please note that the close up pics are from a few months ago before I switched to sand. Everybody in the tank seems much happier with the sand. In the full tank pic most of my fish are hiding.

Attachments

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Well you have other problems as far as that is concerned, but to answer your question, no they would end up being loach food... i figure the pleco does a plenty good job of keeping the substrate stirred up tho. If anything you could take a little plastic toy rake and smooth it out on occasion.

OP
Remo032

Remo032

Reactions
MrBryan723 said:
Well you have other problems as far as that is concerned, but to answer your question, no they would end up being loach food... i figure the pleco does a plenty good job of keeping the substrate stirred up tho. If anything you could take a little plastic toy rake and smooth it out on occasion.
Thanks for the info. I was kind of planning on the Clown Loaches helping to keep the MTS population in check or do you think they would clean out the MTS quickly? Once a week when I do my water changes I level off the sand but every morning it's rearranged some spots down to the glass and other spots 6 to 7" deep. Every morning it's in different spots. The only constant is the far left side of the tank where the sand always stays around 4" deep. I was just kind of worried about possible gas build-ups in this area because it's also difficult to vacuum without disturbing all the rocks and caves.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Clown loaches will do a solid number on a very well established mts culture, so trying to start a population with the loaches will be difficult. I guess I will just go ahead and point out some relevant stuff. Your stocking for your gallons is good, but the footprint of the tank for the size of the fish is not. I don't know exactly what they make that would be the same size, but something shorter and wider would be good. It would also help with the sand issue you are having. On that note, use a copstick or something similar and stab the potential problem areas once a day.

OP
Remo032

Remo032

Reactions
Thanks sounds like solid advice. By wider did you mean side to side or from front to back? Also thought I would share this. From my female peacock longest poop string I have ever seen. Also any idea what kind of Catfish this is?

Attachments

New Threads