Question from a Newbie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There is a question from a shy newbie that I was asked to pass along, as they were a little unsure as to posting just yet. They have goldfish in a 10 gallon tank and their tank is overcrowded, but the fish have seemed to be doing okay for the most part. They have 4 goldfish. They feed the fish only a small amount amount every other day and the fish eat the whole amount. The tank is filtered and unheated but the water parameters are not being tested due to the inability to obtain a test kit at present. (the person is living in Lebanon)

He wishes to know why his fish keep changing colors and I have not been able to answer this question as I know very little about goldfish and have not been able to find anything about color change. Is there any information I can pass along?

I have told him the tank is overstocked.

Rose

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Many goldfish naturally change color during the course of their develpment.
The usual switch is usually from a darker brown/black color to the gold form.

I hope this helps.
To compensate for the lack of a test kit, smaller, daily water changes will help.

Dino

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As far as I know, light does not play into it.
It is thought to be related to the fish reaching adult coloration.

Dino

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks, Folks. I passed the information along to the gentleman asking the question and he thanks you too. I am acutely aware that there are so many people in this world who are so hampered in doing some of the things that we take for granted in being able to take good care of our fish and I thought I needed more help in forming an answer for him.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom