Question for you, please help!

kerryve

HI guys,

I'm battling a bit with my large tank, I have algae growing between the silicone sealant and the glass. Now, I'm worried that that would significantly affect the strength of my tank, considering its holding close on 300gallons. I don't want to have to take my fish out, and re seal my tank, that will be a few days, and the fish will get very stressed, and where do I put them? Is there any chemical or product that I can apply with water in the tank? or is my only alternative to find a temperary home for my fish, empty the tank and reseal it and fill it up again?

please help!
thanks!
Kerry

Chief_waterchanger

The algae, more than likely will NOT grow to the point of pushing the glass apart. Other than being unsightly to some people I do not see it as an issue.

bhcaaron

Did you build the tank!? How would one go about doing this?

neverendingninja

To the original poster...algae is not SO voracious it would be able to do what over 2500 pounds of water can not. I would not worry about it, unless you find the algae to be absolutely hideous. Otherwise, I would let it go.

To bhcaaron; 5 pieces of glass(of the appropriate safety rating and thickness) and aquarium sealant. Cut the sides to fit inside the front and back, and the bottom to fit inside the sides, bottom and front. Clean the glass thoroughly with methylated spirits to remove any and all grease, grime, grit and moisture. Clamp glass together. Apply aquarium sealant VERY evenly, making sure there are no air bubbles. Let dry. Test fill outdoors on hard, level surface.

You can also make a "frame" for the top or bottom if you like, out of wood.

Not as easy as it sounds, unfortunately.

Butterfly

The thought that came to my mind was , that algae couldn't have gotten under the silicone unless there was a gap there already. But algae isn't strong enough to push the silicone up.
Carol

bhcaaron

To bhcaaron; 5 pieces of glass(of the appropriate safety rating and thickness) and aquarium sealant. Cut the sides to fit inside the front and back, and the bottom to fit inside the sides, bottom and front. Clean the glass thoroughly with methylated spirits to remove any and all grease, grime, grit and moisture. Clamp glass together. Apply aquarium sealant VERY evenly, making sure there are no air bubbles. Let dry. Test fill outdoors on hard, level surface.

You can also make a "frame" for the top or bottom if you like, out of wood.

Not as easy as it sounds, unfortunately.

WOW! I didn't even know that was a possibility? Have you done one? I'd be worried to do it on my own. I'd probably end up making nothing more than trip to the emergency room. Care to come make one for me? ;D

kerryve

The thought that came to my mind was , that algae couldn't have gotten under the silicone unless there was a gap there already. But algae isn't strong enough to push the silicone up.
Carol

That's what I'm worried about, if algae is growing there, there's a gap, I'm worried that the sealant has shrunk over time and pulled away from the glass, enough for algae to grow. I have no Algae on the glass, at all, just in these gaps, Its a bit unsightly, unfortunately.

We did build the tank ourselves, it wasn't too difficult, only, when we filled it, the first time, we didnt realise how heavy water is, and what pressure does to glass, the glass bent, so if you're building a large tank, you need to include glass struts at the top, to hold the tank together, when under a lot of pressure.

Butterfly

Is there a way to drain the tank down past the spot and re-seal it without emptying it?
Carol

pistorta

The algae itself wouldn't concern me, but the location of it shows the breakdown of the silicone sealant. This will happen to most tanks over time but will not result in the tank collapsing. Typically, you will find a small leak that can be repaired. If it's high enough in the tank, you can drain the tank below this point for resealing.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Coptapia
Replies
Views
BakedBrotatoes
  • Question
Replies
Views
Laura306
Replies