Question for the mods and admins

Red_Rose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello!

I have a question for the admins and mods of this site. Do the forum Terms of Service and rules apply to you as well as to the members? Is it acceptable for you to break any of the rules at anytime because of your forum status?

The reason I ask this is because on another forum I rarely go onto anymore, one of the administrators threw a hissy fit and started flaming people(calling them idiots and telling them to get their heads out of their you know whats) all because they posted something that they found hilarious yet others did not.

Maybe it's just me but shouldn't the administrators and moderators set an example for how people should behave on the forum buy adhering to the rules? The people on that site can learn a lot from all of the people here!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For the most part, yes.
I say for the most part because sometimes we have to step in and be a little sterner than would usually be allowed.

As far as flaming, hissy, fits, cursing etc. Yes, those rules do apply to us.
We agreed to the TOS when we joined just as everyone had to.

Red_Rose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I can understand having to be a bit stern in some cases especially when people are getting out of control and you have to get things back in order again. That's not a problem. I didn't know if the rules just didn't apply to those who have access to moving threads and banning members.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeppers, they sure do.

However, other forums may have different rules and standards for their mods and admin than FL does.
I really can't speak for how other forums are run.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Our mods approach each situation with dignity and aplomb. And they do set a good example, apparently not what you were used to on the other forum.

No one is allowed to flame here. No one.

Red_Rose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Kudos to all of you!

I remember reading their ToS back when I joined which was quite a few years ago and from what I was to understand, the rules applied to all members regardless of their status on the forums.

It's nice to know that there are still some sites that hold to that no matter what.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ooopppssss, I don't think I've ever read the TOS (be it facebook, myspace, FL), to me they're like instruction manuals

TOS, IMO, reflect what is generally accepted as decent community behaviour and good common sense (which is unfortunately not all that common).

Our mods, just like police in society, do a fantastic job in our community, and unless you are breaking the law, you don't even realise the mods are here

Our police have to abide by the common laws of the country/state, but occassionally they are granted the right to break those laws in the interest of society.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Seconding what Lucy has said. We do our darnedest to make sure that we abide by the rules just as much as we expect others to. The whole point of this place is that everybody is supposed to enjoy a certain level of equality, unlike many aquarium forums where the "experienced" hobbyists (read; the ones who have been on the site longest) automatically "win" any argument by virtue of the fact that they've been present in the forum longest. (I hope that current discussions regarding Seachem Stability and other similar products prove testament to this ideal)
That sort of fairness would be hard to pull off if the mods could lord their status over everyone else. ;D

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ryanr said:
Ooopppssss, I don't think I've ever read the TOS
Here's your chance.

Be sure to pay close attention to the clause where you agreed to send me 4 fish of my choice.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Lucy.
I had read the Rules, but thought there maybe another TOS 'agreement' somewhere that was being referred to

[off-topic]
Slightly off-topic, the rules about IP banning are interesting, and I assume are not highly enforced. I would have thought that given most house-holds don't have fixed IP's, banning one could potentially end up banning a valid visitor when the address is re-assigned through the DHCP of the service provider.
[/off-topic]

But again, most of the rules are common sense or decent community behaviours, with appropriate penalties

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep we are held as accountable as any other member and sometimes more so. Our goal is to be as helpful and informative as possible while making sure the forum runs as smoothly as it can. Good question!
carol

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rose,
If I misbehave they send me to time out and they give me one of these
(not that I ever do)

Ken

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Most households here, since most of us are using cable modems or similar high speed connections, do have fixed IPs. I guess it's just another one of those Opposite Land differences maybe?

This is the first forum I've been on where the mods have actually *enforced* the rules all the time, not just when things get really ugly. Sometimes it's a little too restrictive for me but I'm also not used to being on an all-ages forum where even the word that starts with d and rhymes with ham isn't allowed for the sake of our younger members.

And I don't think I've seen the mods being hypocritical. But maybe I'll go on a hunt to find an example just to see if I'm wrong... (insert chin stroking plotting smiley)

I do like the fact that the mods participate as regular members, not just swoop in with their rulers and slap wrists when someone reports a problem.

-Lisa

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kunsthure said:
I do like the fact that the mods participate as regular members, not just swoop in with their rulers and slap wrists when someone reports a problem.
I hadn't even thought of it from that angle, you're absolutely dead on!

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am on a few forums for various things and frequent some of the general discussion area often and have never seen mods do anything other than warnings for actions that are pushing the lines of acceptable behaviour. Never seen language, name calling, threats etc from mods they carry themselves in a respectful manner.

Red_Rose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
LOL at aquarist48's post! That made me chuckle!

sirdarksol,

I found it interesting how you said that long time members in other aquarium forums tend to automatically "win" in arguments because I've seen this on that forum! A new person could come in and give great information yet they will always be overlooked when a more "experienced" member replies.

That and they are good for kissing the mods and admins behinds. If a moderator or administrator made a post saying how their members should put a bucket of horse **** over their heads, they would mindlessly agree with it.

I will also agree that it's nice when the admins and mods participate with the rest of the members.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just had another pondering, and I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but how a similar topic.
How do you split-up the mod work amongst yourselves? Do you each keep a closer eye on one particular sub-forum, or do you just watch the 'new posts' and read them all?

< hands back the to the original topic now >

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We didn't set out to actually divide up the work But some of us for various reasons are up at night or early morning and we take care what needs to be done then.
Some of us have more experience with certain species of fish and we wind up answering those questions.
Some are better at explaining and writing articles so they do that.
Some are better at forum house keeping.
Things just seem to fall into place almost by them selves.
We really enjoy working with each other and it's nothing for one to say "would you do so and so? " or "you have more experience in this area would you chime into this thread."
Although we all have jobs and families that need our attention at times we really do enjoy fishLore and it's members so we just do what needs to be done
Hope that answers your question Ryan
Carol

Deano_

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Im a moderator on a site in the UK, it gets pretty wild on there on the odd occasion, the last big one was about Germany, and everything that goes with it.....a few got banned, and still are but like on here you have to abide by the rules, but can intervene when things get way outta hand.
I didn't think i would like being a mod, but its real fun !!!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Deano_ said:
ImI didn't think i would like being a mod, but its real fun !!!
It has it's moments
carol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads