55 Gallon Tank Question for Python owners

WendysJungle
I want to get a Python to do my water changes, but am concerned that I won't have a working place to hook it up in my house. My kitchen faucet is the type with the pull-out hose making up the actual end of the faucet, so nothing can be connected. My bathroom faucet is the standard, small unthreaded type. I do see that python makes an "unthreaded faucet adapter." Does anyone have one of these, and does it work on a small bathroom faucet?

jsf
I have a 100 foot python but have the standard faucets so I have never used the adapter, but I will say that unless you have a very fast draining sink, I would be a tad concerned. The faucet has to be on full force to make the suction - -so that water combined with the water being sucked from the tank makes a LOT of water being put into your bathroom sink at once....if your sink is prone to slow drains I fear a great deal of water may over flow.

WendysJungle
jsf said:
I have a 100 foot python but have the standard faucets so I have never used the adapter, but I will say that unless you have a very fast draining sink, I would be a tad concerned. The faucet has to be on full force to make the suction - -so that water combined with the water being sucked from the tank makes a LOT of water being put into your bathroom sink at once....if your sink is prone to slow drains I fear a great deal of water may over flow.
Good to know, thanks! My drains are pretty fast and efficient (I can turn on the tap full force and the sink does not begin to fill up), but I don't have what I would call a huge amount of water pressure in my bathroom sink taps. Wonder if it would be enough?

jsf
One way to find out is to try it. If it doesn't work, let everything dry off, carefully wind it back up and return it - just say that the connections do not fit your model faucet

WendysJungle
Good point. If I order it from Amazon, I don't even have to pay return shipping if it doesn't work out!

jsf
There ya go!

It is always worth a try! Water changes with buckets is so old fashioned ha!

Spagarckles
Wendy, do you have a utility sink anywhere in your home? I had bought a python and returned it since I also came up with no where to attach it. Never the less, I devised my own water change system. Refilling is an easy answer since a garden hose will easily hook up to most utility sinks. To do my water changes I combined a large siphon with a hose (it is important to keep this hose dedicated to the aquarium only). To connect the hose and siphon buy a female hose mender like this one

Make sure the fastner is tight!!

Then to use first start your siphon normally over a bucket and attach the hose while its already draining. I ussually let it drain into the toilet since it is closer to the ground the water will move faster.

I find it best to unattach the siphon before refillling to avoid spray. I hope this helps. Good luck.

WendysJungle
Thanks, but no, unfortunately no utility sink. Just the kitchen sink, 2 bathroom sinks, and two outside hose connectors. I was just looking at the Aqueon, but it seems to have the same type of connectors as the Python.

Spagarckles
That's too bad. Aqueon is the same connector. You can buy just the connector at home depot pretty cheap if you want to test it out. You could still use the method I gave you to drain your tank if that helps.

cletus
I don't have that problem now, but I used to have the same problem at a house I used to live at. What I did was run the python out the front door and hook it up to the water hose outside. You just don't use the adapter part that screws on to the faucet. It actually worked really good. Water pressure was high so suction was more strong and took less time doing water changes.

WendysJungle
Butterfly said:
You could also make one that doesn't require using water to start it https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/garden-hose-tank-siphon-refill.77456/
Carol
Cool DIY! But it looks like I still have to connect to a faucet to fill the tank back up, correct? So then I am back to the original problem.

cletus said:
I don't have that problem now, but I used to have the same problem at a house I used to live at. What I did was run the python out the front door and hook it up to the water hose outside. You just don't use the adapter part that screws on to the faucet. It actually worked really good. Water pressure was high so suction was more strong and took less time doing water changes.
I'd have to see if I could get a long enough hose, as I have a two-story house and the tank is on the upper floor, while the outside water hoses are ground level. Did you have any problem with adding such cold water back into your tanks? What about in the winter (I usually shut off my outside water in the winter months, though could maybe connect in the garage where the shut-off is, but that water would be FREEZING)?

cletus
I used a 5 gallon bucket to fill it back up. I forgot about that part. I just used the python to remove water and vacuum the gravel.

WendysJungle
cletus said:
I used a 5 gallon bucket to fill it back up. I forgot about that part. I just used the python to remove water and vacuum the gravel.
Ah, got it. Well I have a good gravel vacuum with a long hose that I run straight to my bathtub (though I divert some into a bucket to fill up my watering cans, as my plants LOVE that fish water!), so already doing okay there. I was hoping to avoid some bucket lugging on the fill-up, but if I can't, oh well. I just have the one 55 gallon, so it's not as if I am lugging buckets for hours!

cletus
WendysJungle said:
(though I divert some into a bucket to fill up my watering cans, as my plants LOVE that fish water!)

That's a good idea. I've never thought of using water from the fish tank to water plants. I can see that it probably would be good for the plants. I'll have to try that. Thanks

WendysJungle
Hmmmm...what about something like this used with a garden hose, maybe with Carol's DIY system?

cletus
That should work I would think. You should be able to attach the python to that adapter.

Chicken farmer
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I have a 55 in the basement and I would let the water warm up. Then take it down stairs and fill up. So buckets up and down. It is getting hard on my knees. Why I have to let the water warm up os because he have a water softener hooked up and one line for drinking that is cold and can't be adjusted. I've been doing that all summer. And I have 2 29 gals out in a detached garage I have to carry water to.

So what I did since it is too cold to let the water warm up is turn the water on bypass a day before. It worked okay but I still have to carry buckets.

So what iam going to do is, go to a spray store and get however much tubing I need, get an attachment to hook it up. That for refilling. We have a minI pump we pump water from the hot tub with I will use with a garden hose to drain the tank. I will still have to yous the gravel vac for any waste.

What do people think. Wendy you could buy tubing at an ag store for a lot cheaper.

WendysJungle
I actually did something similar tonight. I went to Home Depot and bought about 15 feet of the clear flexible tubing in the size to fit my gravel vacuum, and just ran the tubing from my vac all the way to my sink (held it in the sink with a piece of painters tape), and so when I squeezed the bulb to start my gravel vac the water was emptying from my tank directly into my sink (so no buckets for the emptying process!). While I was at Home Depot getting the tubing I talked to the guy in the plumbing department, and he said that most "unthreaded" faucets, if they have an aerator, DO actually have threads up in the inside. You just unscrew what appears to be the unthreaded end. I tried it, and what do you know, he was correct! I actually already had an old sprayer hose here that was for attaching to a kitchen sink to be able to go around and water your plants (the hose is 25 feet, I think), and with an adapter from Home Depot to deal with the reversed threads, I was able to attach it to the faucet I removed the aerator from. Using this, I was able to fill up my tank directly from the sink (so no buckets on the refill process!!). All I am missing is that handy reversal switch the Python has. If I decide I really want that, I may see if the adapter I bought will work for hooking the Python up to my sink, but for now I have a low-budget (around $15) solution for making water changes without hauling buckets, and I get still get to vacuum my gravel in the process!

My fish got a BIG water change tonight!

cletus
Awesome! I'm glad you were able to figure something out. I know I used to always hate having to use the buckets. It's such a pain and takes so much longer for water changes.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom