Question For Other Ferret Owners

Over It

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
704
Experience
More than 10 years
I recently got a an amazing little male Ferret who I've named Koda.
I honestly wasn't planning on getting one although the idea had crossed my mind since I had one growing up.
However I believe that I was meant to get him and he was meant to be a part of our family. I haven't had him very long, but he is already very closely bonded with me and is just the best little Ferret I could have asked for, which leads me to my question.

I have been doing lots of reading since it's been quite awhile since I've had a Ferret and I want to make sure I do everything right by him. I have been thinking about getting another Ferret so he has a constant playmate and to make sure he is happy, but I don't know whether that's the best idea or not.

I've read many mixed reviews where people swear it's always better to have 2 Ferrets and others where they say Ferrets are just fine by themselves as long as you give them attention.

For those who have owned Ferrets or currently owned Ferrets what has been your experience and do you think 2 Ferrets is better than one?

He is neutered, de scented and litter box trained already and doesn't bite or scratch you on purpose and he is only 14 weeks old. I'm scared to get another Ferret and it be a "nightmare Ferret" and having to keep it since Koda is already bonded with him/her.
 

WTFish?

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,628
Reaction score
3,011
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
Tempestt said:
I recently got a an amazing little male Ferret who I've named Koda.
I honestly wasn't planning on getting one although the idea had crossed my mind since I had one growing up.
However I believe that I was meant to get him and he was meant to be a part of our family. I haven't had him very long, but he is already very closely bonded with me and is just the best little Ferret I could have asked for, which leads me to my question.

I have been doing lots of reading since it's been quite awhile since I've had a Ferret and I want to make sure I do everything right by him. I have been thinking about getting another Ferret so he has a constant playmate and to make sure he is happy, but I don't know whether that's the best idea or not.

I've read many mixed reviews where people swear it's always better to have 2 Ferrets and others where they say Ferrets are just fine by themselves as long as you give them attention.

For those who have owned Ferrets or currently owned Ferrets what has been your experience and do you think 2 Ferrets is better than one?

He is neutered, de scented and litter box trained already and doesn't bite or scratch you on purpose and he is only 14 weeks old. I'm scared to get another Ferret and it be a "nightmare Ferret" and having to keep it since Koda is already bonded with him/her.
Congrats on your new baby. I love them so much and have had several over the years. It really depends on the individual ferret, as long as they have a ton of attention they are fine alone. If they will be alone for long periods of time while you're working whatever, I'd recommend another. But again there's always the chance of the "nightmare" ferret. I had one. She was a holy terror and biter. I returned her. The store proceeded to tell me how I need to train her etc. I told them I have much experience but she is the devil. They understood that when I returned her. Lol. Good luck
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
O

Over It

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
704
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you! He really is my baby. He is amazing and such a sweetheart.
That's what I'm scared of having happen. I think his "twin" might still be at the store (might not be, I haven't checked n awhile) and I was thinking maybe he would be a good choice, but it's just impossible to know for sure until you get them. I'm mostly worried about the new one biting and not ever being litter box trained.
 

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,162
Reaction score
6,170
Location
Texas
Experience
3 years
Pictures of the guy?
Sounds like a lot of fun!
 

Prism

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,494
Reaction score
534
Location
TX
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a question about a ferret, whenever I go to the pet store they seem to stink.
Does yours stink? (haha) I want to see some pics!

Second question, are you having him like a dog, to rome the house on its own.
Or are you having it in a huge tank?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
O

Over It

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
704
Experience
More than 10 years
Here's some pics of him and his cage.
c867154da8f597217cc28ecd346381f7.jpg
570ed33373e12e9250c608e760e9a778.jpg
f94a560cb20c977156a4561178a3cb21.jpg
1740859c685b41ceedf877f24b2c6d53.jpg
47d3f3173e532cf261fd5c8f6c0dd4e1.jpg


He stays in his cage when I can't watch him. He has a play pen to run around in and a large ball that I use to really let him run around without getting into trouble

He doesn't stink. He does have his own smell that's kinda hard to describe, it reminds me of the smell of dog food. Lol
He is de scented and neutered so he doesn't smell like as much as other Ferrets.
I clean his litter boxes once a day and it's a heck of a lot better than a cat box.

He is more like a dog in that he follows me around and likes to wrestle and play tug o war.

WTFish? said:
Congrats on your new baby. I love them so much and have had several over the years. It really depends on the individual ferret, as long as they have a ton of attention they are fine alone. If they will be alone for long periods of time while you're working whatever, I'd recommend another. But again there's always the chance of the "nightmare" ferret. I had one. She was a holy terror and biter. I returned her. The store proceeded to tell me how I need to train her etc. I told them I have much experience but she is the devil. They understood that when I returned her. Lol. Good luck
The Ferret I had growing up had lived by herself her whole life so having 2 would be totally new to me.
In your experience how fast do they bond to another Ferret?
 

Prism

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,494
Reaction score
534
Location
TX
Experience
5 to 10 years
Aw! I wish I could get one now!
Except my Frenchie is very mean, I bet he would kill him!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
O

Over It

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
704
Experience
More than 10 years
They are great, but they do require a lot of time and "work". He definitely has been a welcome member into our family though, apart from one of my dogs. He's still getting used him and learning that he is not a toy I brought home for him. lol I put the play pen in front of the cage to make sure they have a healthy distance from each other when I'm not watching. I'm sure he'll get used to him like he did my chickens with some time.

I may not have really planned on getting him, but I did know what I was getting into and my kids love playing with him as well so it's worked out great.
 

Prism

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,494
Reaction score
534
Location
TX
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh stop it! Your making me want one so badd!!
I have loads of time that just gets wasted.

I'm getting another fish tank soon for my goldfish.
Other than my 2 tanks I have, that's all the work I put into my pets.

I've always wanted a cat, but they seem to take a lot of your money by all the medications they take.
My frenchie is extremely aggressive to others that he doesn't know. Rabbits, and other things.

I bet he could get used to a ferret with doing something like you have done.
But I would have to do the research about it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
O

Over It

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
704
Experience
More than 10 years
Definitely do a lot of research first. They are not for everyone and he all by himself takes a lot more of my time than my 4 dogs combined do. Hence why I'm considering getting him a friend. I don't want him to get lonely when I'm busy.
 

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,162
Reaction score
6,170
Location
Texas
Experience
3 years
Never been a huge fan of rodents, or those kinds of animals.
I'll usually be all fish, hermit crab, or reptile if you ask me about pets. I really do like your ferret though!
 

Prism

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,494
Reaction score
534
Location
TX
Experience
5 to 10 years
I love them all! I love these kind of animals.
Especially guinea pigs. eeeee!

I love the picture of him drinking,
and the one of him sleeping! So cute!!
 

Prism

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,494
Reaction score
534
Location
TX
Experience
5 to 10 years
Definitely not getting a ferret!
I've been doing research, they sound like a lot of money..

I have a french bulldog right at the moment,
maybe instead I could look into getting a english bulldog, or another french bulldog.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
O

Over It

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
704
Experience
More than 10 years
lol If you think Ferrets are a lot of money compared to english or french bulldogs we live in very different places.

Thanks guys. I'm usually not a huge fan of these kinds of animals either, but like I said there was just something about this little guy that pulled me in.
 

Prism

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,494
Reaction score
534
Location
TX
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tempestt said:
lol If you think Ferrets are a lot of money compared to english or french bulldogs we live in very different places.

Thanks guys. I'm usually not a huge of these kinds of animals either, but like I said there was just something about this little guy that pulled me in.
Haha! I know the bulldogs are quite expensive for adoption, but I've found some of them for sale about 400$-1000$, quite a good deal.
I'm talking about how much work they are, it says to not keep fish close with their cage, will for me that's only spot I have to put them by my 20gL!

I've wanted my own land animal since I was 2yrs old, I think this is the time maybe. My other french bulldog is in the care of my mom. haha
Yes english bulldogs are the most pickiest with their bathing, daily wiping ect. But I think I could handle that!

My Schedule.
Feed Fish.
Water my Cactus
Eat Breakfast.
Do some Chores.
Play my Computer.
Do some research.
Doing more research to help people on fishlore.
Eat Lunch
Do weekly water changes on my fishtank.
Feed my fish again.
Eat Dinner.
Go to sleep for the whole entire night.
Do the whole thing over in the morning.

I need some more to my life! Its pretty boring haha.
 

Bruxes and Bubbles

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,861
Reaction score
2,767
Prism said:
Haha! I know the bulldogs are quite expensive for adoption, but I've found some of them for sale about 400$-1000$, quite a good deal.
I'm talking about how much work they are, it says to not keep fish close with their cage, will for me that's only spot I have to put them by my 20gL!

I've wanted my own land animal since I was 2yrs old, I think this is the time maybe. My other french bulldog is in the care of my mom. haha
Yes english bulldogs are the most pickiest with their bathing, daily wiping ect. But I think I could handle that!

My Schedule.
Feed Fish.
Water my Cactus
Eat Breakfast.
Do some Chores.
Play my Computer.
Do some research.
Doing more research to help people on fishlore.
Eat Lunch
Do weekly water changes on my fishtank.
Feed my fish again.
Eat Dinner.
Go to sleep for the whole entire night.
Do the whole thing over in the morning.

I need some more to my life! Its pretty boring haha.
A pair of rats are a good middle ground between something like a hamster and something like a rabbit or a ferret. They're wonderful little creatures. I plan to get some more as soon as I can.


And Tempestt, your ferret is adorable!
 

Prism

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,494
Reaction score
534
Location
TX
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry! I can't get rats, my mom is absolutely scared of them.
Bulldogs are our love! SO ADORABLE.

I agree they are great animals, but I am looking for something to hug.
(i'm a hugger) I think I'll squeeze the life out of a rat!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
O

Over It

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
704
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Bruxes and Bubbles.

Well if you feel like there is something missing and you've really taken the time to think about it then I say go for it! You only live once.

Opps, I never read about not keeping them next to fish tanks. He's right next to my 36 gal. Oh well for now it's all good.
 

Prism

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,494
Reaction score
534
Location
TX
Experience
5 to 10 years
While I was researching it said if you have fish don't keep them close to them.
Do you have a tight lid for it, that he could not climb up to and lift up?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #20
OP
O

Over It

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
704
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, he can't get in there. He's never left alone out of the cage. My house is not Ferret proof and I'd rather be safe than sorry.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
215
Guests online
3,328
Total visitors
3,543

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom