Question for gunnie

Wolfman

Valued Member
Reaction score
If I were to put 1 oscar in a 55 gal would he be ok for 1 year also if I plan on adding fish with my oscar should I do in now or wait. I have been doing some research and some people are saying that you can have pictus cats with oscars do you think that is true. I would love to have 1 oscar 1 pleco and maybe 2 pictus. My wife graduates from college next month with a nursing degree...chaching...and so we "she" is planning on buying a bigger tank maybe 100-125 but I thought I would run this by you to see what you thought.
I have 2 HOB aquaclear rated 30-60 gal filters
do you think that would be good enough for filtration any other recommendations would be welcome.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think your plan sounds good, but if you are gonna do this, they all need to be introduced in the tank together. Also, be prepared for your oscar to try and eat the pictus cats if they can fit in his mouth. Hopefully you will get an oscar too small to eat them in the beginning. As he grows, he may not realize he's big enough to eat them and will leave them alone. Also, do some research on www.planetcatfish.com and find a pleco that will be suitable for your tank. My common pleco has worked out well with the abuse shelled out by my 2 oscars, and he's a big enough size to stick up for himself. I would not get a bristlenose for that tank.

Wolfman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks gunnie 6 weeks of stessing over what fish to get has wore me out.I plan on buying all little fish I have found a good looking tiger oscar at the pet store that is maybe 1 1/2 inches I think he/she is the one. I will be glad to get them and enjoy

BrianCB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi my oscar a while back jumped out the ank and fell under it (it stayed there for over ten minutes and still survived) afterwards it was a little shook but then became it old self again why do they hit the roof of the tank so much?? ???

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
BrianCB said:
Hi my oscar a while back jumped out the ank and fell under it (it stayed there for over ten minutes and still survived) afterwards it was a little shook but then became it old self again why do they hit the roof of the tank so much?? ???
Mine do that because they get excited at feeding time or they are fighting each other. I don't know why your oscar is doing that. ???

BrianCB

Valued Member
Reaction score
My oscar is not really aggressive and when he jumps sometimes Im not even in the room.

Old Sloppy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Wolfman said:
If I were to put 1 oscar in a 55 gal would he be ok for 1 year  also if I plan on adding fish with my oscar should I do in now or wait.
a 55 gallon tank is the minimum size.
Do not add any other fish, you will be overcrouded.
these fish like to swim around a lot.

Harry S.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom