Question for breeders...

Discussion in 'Betta Breeding' started by cajunfiberco, Mar 22, 2010.

1. cajunfiberco

cajunfiberco Well Known Member Member

This is really non-breeder specific but I thought the breeders here would be most knowledgeable.

When you are jarring, what, up to 100+ bettas, do you do daily or every other day water changes (if you don't use a filter system with your jars)? And with those daily or so changes, does it stress the fish?

I just wonder because I see how so many here say a filtered tank is best, but not all breeders use filtration for their fish. So I'm curious on your water change routine, the details of it.

2. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

I do water changes every other day.....I do NOT use filters.....

3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

BUT.............she knows what shes doing!! PLEASE dont think that its ok for all bettas ;)

4. Martinismommy

I should have mentioned that Shawnie.....I do not recommend this for everyone....I work in my fish room 8 hours a day....It is a fulltime job for me I'm not a hobby breeder.....

5. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

The typical betta owner who's looking for a pet doesn't want to have to do the extra work required to keep a betta in a bowl in a healthy enviroment (daily or every other day water changes). My breeders get WC's about every other day, however when the QT is over I'm hoping to get a barrack system set up, not so much for the filtration (that jars would still need to be washed) but because I can't use air temp to keep the tanks at a proper temperature and the drip system will take care of that for me most effectively.

Back on the stress issue, the most "stressful" part is getting the betta out of their jar for me to clean it. The red pair and the green female are spaztic about it :p I'm working on a better catch the betta trap, a clear container does work really really well :p

EDIT: DOUBLE NINJA'd AGAIN :nono: I need more coffee :p

P.S. Since I'm editing anyway, when deciding how to keep your betta there are a few things to consider:
    1) Temp. Betta's are tropical fish and require tropical temperatures, if you don't live somewhere that's naturally tropical, then this has a big impact on what you can house your betta's in. Most heaters aren't calibrated to anything under 2.5 gallons.
    2) Dedication: Not getting a filter means that you're saying you'll spend the time necessary to change the water as frequently as necessary, and will never leave home for the weekend again, reliable fish sitters are hard to find...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  6. Martinismommy

Red, because all of my fish have been born and raised here they go into the cup on their own....They have been doing it since age 8 weeks...I do not net.....

As far as barracks, it's a nice idea......I guess I'm just weird, I like doing it the old fashion way lol

7. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

Seriously???? They just swim in on their own????? That is amazing!

Btw, My fish are in tanks that are heated and filtered, this was just something I wondered about for future reference if ever needed. My climate is tropical enough but I keep my a/c at 70 (I hate hot weather) so I need a heater for my fish. And I do realize if you don't use filtration you need do do daily or almost daily water changes.

8. Red1313

Haha MM :p I finally got the whole crew onto the whole me = food thing rofl. Some of them are ok with being caught but most of them aren't. They'll come around ok I'm pretty sure, maybe I should feeding them in the WC cup... :p

And MM I need a barrack system lol. I'm in a basement suite and don't control the heat, until I move the barrack is the only way to do it practically :p speaking of which I've got a thread with a rough sketch of what I'm thinking of in the DIY section, would you mind checking it out for me? Even if you don't use a barrack system I'm appreciate any pointers on it :p

P.S. sorry for the high-jack

9. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

That's ok red, I find all of this (breeding, baracks, fish info) terribly interesting. ;)

Another question specifically for the breeders this time - how many jars do you have on hand? Morbid curiosity :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  10. Red1313

Haha it's not only a learning experiance cajun it's an eye opener :p
    (Thanks for not minding)

11. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

Yet another one, yes I'm full of it haha!

Would it be a bad idea just to try one or two spawns, with no plans to proceed further than that? I'm so interested in the breeding process, but I can't see myself devoting time beyond a couple of spawns. Mostly I want to just try it, to experience it first hand

12. Red1313

I dunno, as a learning experience it might be, but I've got a running tally of what I've spent so far, and I think it comes down to the $$$ you've got to spend. I think even the cheapest "trial" spawn would cost you over the $200 mark, just for the supplies and the set up. Once you factor in the time... I really don't know.

13. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

the time i'm not so worried about to be honest. so what is needed exactly? a 10 gallon spawning tank, live plant for that, heater, small filter? then the jars... what is the minimum of jars you would need? and I guess you'd need another 10 gal or so for the females?

14. Red1313

There are alot of factors:
    # Jars, what kind of jars, what are you putting the jars on, live food to condition the breeders, live food for the fry, supplemental heaters, etc. etc, the grey hair....
    MM could give you a better run down, remember that you need to find homes for what can be up to 300 fry. What will you do with the ones that you can't home? Breeding Betta's is alot more labour, and emotionally intense then breeding other fish. You interact with all the fish on a daily basis, will you be able to hand them over to your LFS after? Probably not, so what do you do?
    MM, Whisper, or Critter would be better ones to address this.

15. Martinismommy

I have a 55 grow out, a 20 gallon toddler tank 6, 10 gallons, 5, 5 gallons, 5, 2 gallon spawn tanks and over 300 32 ouncs jars for females and 30 beanie boxes for show males....

I had no idea when you won my girl on Aquabid you were planning on breeding....There is a LOT that goes into spawning and raising Bettas...I was happy she was going into a loving pet home...

16. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

Oh Karen no no! I won't be breeding her. I am thinking about waaaaaaaaaaaay off into the future, not now. It will probably be years before I ever even get serious about it. This girl is totally going to be a spoiled rotten pet :)

17. Red1313

MM you need to make a video tour of your set up :p I can see how it's a full time job for you and I'd love to see it lol. No rush though I can wait for the fish hut.

18. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

:;ha

19. Martinismommy

Red, I'm going to do a video when the fish room is all done.....

Cajun, I'm so happy to hear that.....

20. Red1313

:clapping:
    I shall be waiting :p

I'd give a tour of mine but it's imaginary right now :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice