Question: Fluval 406 and a small bag of Gravel 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by sambofish, Dec 18, 2012.

1. s

sambofish Valued Member Member

When I switched from gravel to a dirt planted tank I keep a small bag of gravel in the take for future use as seeding for another tank. Question can I move the gravel bag from the tank and put it in the canister itself? I'm thinking of removing one of the bioballs and placing there. I am thinking it would basically replace the bioballs until I need it?

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Imo, if you used a media bag or those hollow balls you could do that. However, it would be much more effective imo for seeding purposes if you tossed the gravel and did the same thing but with biological media, like bio max. Those medias will build much more of a bb colony than non porous gravel can.

3. OP
    OP
    s

sambofish Valued Member Member

Thanks for the prompt feed back. I will toss the gravel, it was taking space up in the tank anyway.

4. Matt B

No problem. :) It'sa win-win then.

5. Colorado

Colorado Valued Member Member

Will just a small bag of bio media just sitting in a tank develop enough of a colony to make a difference in a new tank--I'd think it would need good water flow. And wouldn't it just decrease the amount of BB on the main filter--I assume each tank has a maximum limit on how much BB it can support. What do you think?

6. Matt B

No, it wouldn't as stated above its pretty pointless, it needs to be in the filter.

As far as the bb go its a little more complicated than that. Think of your bb colony as a city with kids adults and elderly. Kids consume alot as they grow, adults consume a considerable amount pretty efficiently at the hieght of their lives, as bb age they are less efficient and consume less. So, at any given point of time on an established biological filter you have all of these types of bb, some waiting with baited breath for more waste to come through, others not so much. Thats why in an established tank you can often add fish with no mini cycle, there were alreadt hungry bb waiting for the extra waste. And also how I can take half of the bio media from one of my established tanks to start a new one with no mini cycle.

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You can certainly use seeded gravel to seed a new filter - putting it in a media bag in the filter, between the layers of new media, will get things started for you. Is it a better media than the bioballs? Maybe maybe not - I don't think very highly of the plastic bioballs. I use biomax for biomedia.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice