Question Fish Food and Temperature?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by RKennedy923, Aug 2, 2015.

1. RKennedy923New MemberMember

Ok so about last week I was on fishlore a lot trying to figure out what I was going to stock my 20h gallon tank with and a lot of people on fishlore helped me decide that. I am back from vacation now and I am stocking my tank tomorrow (already cycled), but what I really need to know is what the temperature needs to be in the tank and what kind of food I am going to need. What we decided to stock the tank with was 6 neon tetras, 1 dwarf gourami, 6 Cory catfish, and 2 male guppies. So with that being said, what will the tank temp need to be and what kind food will be needed. I don't necessarily want to have a million types of food so if there is any food that all of the fish can eat let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
  2. DrSahlValued MemberMember

I am no expert :D but I can try to help. if you click on your fish (the links) you will see fishlores database and they will tell you about the fish. IE the neon tetras will say.

Temperature : 69°F - 79°F (21°C - 26°C)

If you look at the dwarf and guppies they will show the same.. The dwarf says 77F and the two others will do fine with that as well...

You can cross the knowledge from each fish so all will be at home.

Hope that helped.

3. NympxzieValued MemberMember

All your fish can eat New Life Spectrum "small fish formula" .5 mm pellets it's costly but it provides full nutrition for your fish and very good quality ingredients.

You cory cats will need algae wafers and zucchini and cucumber as far as I'm aware they might graze on the pellets but it shouldn't be their whole diet as they need plant matter.

4. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I feed my community the small fish formula also, kind of using it as a growth formula and boy, have the fish gotten big in just a little over a month lol... But cories dont naturally eat algae so I dont think feeding them algae wafers is the best idea. The OP can either choose to feed them catfish pellets or i think small fish formula would work for them also. Coradee

5. RKennedy923New MemberMember

Do flakes work, I already have some of those

6. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Flakes dont sink normally, so unless you pre-soak them, your cories wont get any food.

7. RKennedy923New MemberMember

So if I used flakes for everything else but the cories and got the cories their own food, would that work

thanks in advance

8. el337Fishlore LegendMember

You can pre-soak the flakes so they sink or drop them by the filter so they sink down (if you have an HOB). I also feed the my corys sinking shrimp pellets and wafers but I do so after lights out so they can find them first before the other fish do.

As for temps, what kind of corys are you getting?

9. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

As for the temp, it depends on what kind of cories you get. Some cories prefer over 75 and some prefer under. What kind of cories were you looking at?

10. RKennedy923New MemberMember

I'm getting the ones petsmart has, I assume just regular ones

11. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

There are different species, and each species has preferred temp ranges. You should find out what type they are before you bring them home.

12. Et tuValued MemberMember

Everyone has given excellent advice. I will add that i flake food looses it's nutritional value very quickly once it's opened. So buy smaller containers. All of the fish you are planning to stock, will enjoy a few feedings a week of a quality frozen food.

13. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Variety in the diet is always good. Cories will need their own food, usually some type of sinking carnivore pellet. While they are omnivores, about 90% of their diet is meat. They arent algae eaters, but rather scavengers to an extent. They usually wont do well on miscellaneous scraps from the other fish though. I rotate my cories between 3 different type of food, sinking pellets, sinking wafers, and bloodworms. They also get some of the leftover flakes that the others miss. The other fish in my tank (including guppies and neon tetra) also enjoy nibbling on the cories food, theyll hover above and catch little pieces that float off.

14. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Corys aren't algae eaters nor do they need veg, they get little to no nutrition from them.
    They need a catfish pellet as a staple plus frozen or live bloodworm, brine shrimp, daphnia etc if you can get them.

15. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

As TexasDomer said diffrent corys have diffrent temp needs. This is important. Before you stock this tank double check the water perimeter needs of all the fish. As an example my personal favorite cory is the peppered. But it needs water that is cooler than the rest of the fish in my tanks like.

We feed on a rotating schedule of Omega one flakes, Frozen brine, Tetramin flakes with Sunday being frozen bloodworm day. We also feed algae wafers throughout the week. The corys love them but for them it is really just a junk food snack. As has been said they really get no nutritional benefit from algae.

1a. A peppered from a while ago.

1b.

2a. Everyone loves the wafers :) These are rather old shots.

2b.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  16. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Thunder_o_b, Love your pictures. I like how you captured the moments of the guppies hovering to get a piece as mine do that also... lol

Also as a general question - you don't need to crush the wafers or the bigger pellets for the fish? I've been crushing them because it seems it's a little harder for the corys and other fish to eat. Sometimes if it's a bigger piece, I feel like it may get lodged in their throat. Is it not necessary to chop them down to finer pieces? Coradee

17. ClearEyesWell Known MemberMember

When I feed frozen bloodworms cubes, I thaw them in a little bowl of tank water first so they disperse into individual worms. When I dump them in, they sink slowly, but they're dispersed enough that my top/mid dwellers can't gobble them all up fast enough, and a bunch end up on the bottom. Eventually, they'll peck them out of the gravel, but in your case, I'm sure your corys will get to them first :) That helps with feeding all 3 levels of my tank (a 20G high as well).

18. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I don't crush the pellets I throw in. They get small bits off at a time, and over time it crumbles in the water itself. I like that it prevents them from eating too fast.

19. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

If the wafer or pellet softens quickly then the corys can get pieces off it but often other fish get to it before it softens enough which is why I suggest crushing them so the corys get a chance to get some

20. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Same here, they kinda slowly soften so they eat them over a course of time. Keeps them from stuffing their faces too fast and risking bloat or internal blockages. I use wardley sinking pellets, and Hikari sinking wafers for my Cories and pleco. My pleco also gets an algae wafer between fresh veggies, and although the Cories like it, I don't think they get too much value from it, although it does contain some meat. I figure if anything the veggie/plant matter helps clean them out even if they don't get anything from it nutritionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice