Question: Does my Betta have fungus or ?

DragonOwner

Hello, all. I'm new to the forum, hoping to pick the brains of the experts.

I'm a new fish owner. My wife and I bought a tank last Christmas and filled it with a beautiful dragon Betta (at least the container said it was a dragon!). So, we're learning the ropes as we go, trying hard to be good fish owners.

My Betta has had a white area on his face for months that i can't seem to diagnose. Looks maybe a bit fuzzy? Hard to tell. At first i thought it was a scratch or wound, as he's prone to squeeze into tight spots. He seems to be healthy otherwise. Not too lazy, eats his meals, etc.

Please see the attached photo.

We just added some ember tetras to the tank a few weeks back, and sadly they brought some Ick to the tank. All the fish caught it.
I treated with salt and some Herbtana parasite stuff. Seemed to do the trick after a week. All visibly clear. Also raised the tank temp and changed the water more than a few times.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! thx

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 9 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 7 months
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 80.5
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) We've had the Betta since December, and just a few weeks ago added seven ember tetras to keep him company, or battle with!

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a week or so
How much of the water do you change? 2 gallons
What do you use to treat your water? TopFin water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? vaccum

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? no
What do you use to test the water? API Freshwater Aquarium Test Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”. Do not recall numbers other than ammonia/nitrite. All seemed within a good range
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ?
pH: ?
dragonwhitestuff.jpg
whitestuff2.jpg

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day -- 10-12 hours apart
How much do you feed your fish? 4-6 pellets per feeding / but he also eats some of the tetra flakes because he's a P-I-G pig!
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari
Do you feed frozen? occasional frozen brine shrimp
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? occasional blood worm

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

CoryMaster151

Hey there

Definitely looks like some type of fungus. I would try and find some fin rot medication. Sorry to not be much help. My betta had this too and with the right medication he had gotten rid of it in 2 days. Best of luck and hope some other people can help!

Upvote 0

DragonOwner

Thanks for the reply! I’m relieved to hear somebody’s at least seen this before. Been tough to sort out.

Upvote 0

DragonOwner

So i bought some PimaFix, as recommended from the pet store peeps.
I'll start with that, keep my fingers crossed.

Upvote 0

DragonOwner

Well, some news on my poor betta.
So we had a diagnosis for our betta, who has a white growth near his eye and gill.
Said to be a chromatophoroma on his right gill covering. I understand this is a type of benign cancer seen commonly in bettas.
So, he may not look at his best, but shouldn't really change his life much i'm told.
FYI: expert told me that Pimafix is a waste of money, and does nothing.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BenjiBear
Replies
Views
BigGib
Replies
Views
Rosemoss
Replies