Question: Brackish Plants

PFENTY

Reaction score
I have a 37 gallon freshwater tank that was heavenly planted. I decided to get a green spotted puffer. I knew the puffer was a brackish fish, so before I bought her I transitioned to brackish. My special Gravity was 1.004 and I changed it to 1.010 within 3 hours. All of my plants except for 2 died. The ones that barely made it barely survived. I did not realize that you had to acclimate plants as well. So I tried doing my research to find out which plants can live in brackish water. I bought some crypt wendtii. Drip acclimated them for 1.5 hours and they also died I used to love how all of my plants were so full and this tank was so lovely and green. Now switching to brackish I can't keep anything to stay alive or thrive. I dose with Seachem Flourish and my substrate is play sand. Any advice on which plants do well in brackish and how to properly acclimate plants? Thanks!

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Some don't handle the salinity well. Crypts melt, but they can come back. Next time, try leaving the crypts in there (just remove the dead leaves) and see if they come back.

I like Anubias and Java fern can handle low salinity levels.

Big Red

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Out of curiosity I did some searching and found this link. From reading it says thatacclimation needs to be really really slow in order to not kill plant.

OP
PFENTY

PFENTY

Reaction score
Big Red said:
Out of curiosity I did some searching and found this link. From reading it says thatacclimation needs to be really really slow in order to not kill plant.
Thanks so much for this source!!! This helps me so much!

OP
PFENTY

PFENTY

Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
Some don't handle the salinity well. Crypts melt, but they can come back. Next time, try leaving the crypts in there (just remove the dead leaves) and see if they come back.

I like Anubias and Java fern can handle low salinity levels.
My crypts survived but only 2-3 leaves made it out of like 15 but I just got a new growth today!

New Threads