Question: All these various conditioners/chemies?

Jonez

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey all.
I've been reading around here, and a post made me think of something.
I do 1x weekly water changes. My water parameters are stellar (knocks on wood) -- 0's across the scale (Am,Ni,Na), and stable pH (asides from when I started using Co2, but am in the midst of working out the correct amnt of coral to add to my driftwooded tank).
I hear of people using prime, and aquasafe, and other chemical conditioners -- I have only ever used API's stress coat during my water changes.
Do I just have exceptionally clean tanks not needing any of these chemicals? Or am I misreading, and these conditioners are designed with much larger tanks in mind than my big ol' 16G and 10G?
Im just wanting to make sure Im "doin' it right" as well as better understand why someone would want to use these other conditioners.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Cheers!!!!

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I actually answered this in the other thread where you commented about not know what all these water conditioners were all about. Sorry...I read that thread first.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If the fish are healthy and the tank is cycled, imo a water conditioner is a water conditioner. It doesn't matter which one you use as long as it removes chlorine, chloramines and detoxifies heavy metals.

However, it's when there are problems that different ones might be recommended.

Prime or amquel+ might be recommended to not only condition the water but to detoxify ammonia when cycling with fish.

Adding extra Stress coat for fin damage to prmote growth.

Aqua-safe if cycling with Tetra SafeStart since any conditioners that detox ammonia will kill Tetra SafeStart (according to tetra)

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The bonus to using Prime is that it helps detox any unseen spikes, but also because it does everything including promoting slime coat, and it is extremely concentrated (1 capful for 50g), so its more cost effective in the long run.

Jonez

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Prime sounds like the stuff then. Who makes it?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Water/Water Conditioners section of the forum.

I use Amquel + and Nova Aqua + in combination.

Ken

Jonez

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If your tank is cycled you shouldn't have 0's across the board. You should have some nitrate showing with ammonia and nitrite at 0.

I agree with jeta and Lucy on the conditioners. Prime is my main conditioner. Others like Stress Coat, Fish Protector, etc... I typically use in supplemental fashion.
My nitrate is always at 0ppm. On the occasion I have a little buildup of ammonia, but Ni and Na are always at 0. My tank is fully cycled. It is just a 16 gallon and a 10 gallon, and I perform weekly water changes, if not more (on avg. every 5-6 days), so Im assuming thats the reason for my 0's.

Im going to head out tomorrow to pick up some of that Prime. Read up on it some more and seems like the cats meow.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you won't have 0 nitrate without something removing the nitrates from the tank. They are the end result of the nitrogen cycle, so as long as you have ammonia being produced you will have nitrates. They are readily taken in by plants, so if you have plants it may explain your low /non existent nitrate levels.

Jonez

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thats it right there then. My tanks are pretty heavily planted. When the plants take in nitrates, do they take it in as nourishment?

blasto172

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I started using prime as Its been highly regarded as being shrimp safe; a statement I agree with. When I made my upgradde to a 55 gal. I also began to appreciate its economical side.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The economical side is why I use prime. It does the same thing you have to use Amquel+ and Novaqua+ to accomplish. To use amquel+ in my 55 tank, I go through a large bottle every month or so, plus I have to use Novaqua as well. Prime I can use the similar size bottle in all my tanks, not need any other chemical, and the bottle will last longer. 1 capfull of prime treats 50 gallons. So with 1.5 capfuls, I can treat my 55 gallon, 10 gallon, 5.5 gallon, and 2.5 gallon. It takes 5 capfulls of Amquel+ to treat just my 55 gallon tank.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My nitrate is always at 0ppm. On the occasion I have a little buildup of ammonia, but Ni and Na are always at 0. My tank is fully cycled. It is just a 16 gallon and a 10 gallon, and I perform weekly water changes, if not more (on avg. every 5-6 days), so Im assuming thats the reason for my 0's.

Im going to head out tomorrow to pick up some of that Prime. Read up on it some more and seems like the cats meow.
My planted tanks have very low nitrates because they are all very heavily planted too.

If you are getting all zeros then your tank is not cycled at all. The fact that you have occasional ammonia spikes is evidence of that. If you are not using a water conditioner then the chlorine in your water is killing your beneficial bacteria at every water change. When you do your weekly water changes you are removing 5-6 days worth of ammonia so you must be keeping the ammonia at survivable levels. If you have well water with no chlorine then we will have to figure out what else is killing your cycle.

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
My tanks are pretty heavily planted. When the plants take in nitrates, do they take it in as nourishment?
Nitrate is one of the components of plant food. I too have a fairly heavily planted tank that often reads 0,0,0 for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If your tank has been up and running for a long time, and this is the norm for it, I wouldn't be too concerned.

As far as your original concern with water conditioners, the primary reason for using them is to remove chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals, and possibly other things that make it safe for your fish. Just follow the directions on the product of choice.

My planted tanks have very low nitrates because they are all very heavily planted too.

If you are getting all zeros then your tank is not cycled at all.
In a heavily planted tank, you cannot assume it is not cycled when no nitrates are present, especially as the OP is completing water changes every 5-6 days.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My primary reason for using them is to make sure the seachem reps children finish college.

Just kidding, great advice, I'm behind Dena's post 100%.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
In a heavily planted tank, you cannot assume it is not cycled when no nitrates are present, especially as the OP is completing water changes every 5-6 days.[/QUOTE]

I looked at the pictures of the OP's tanks and the fact that they are both very new. With only a few plants and no water conditioners to remove chlorine in a tank that was set up in June or July I think he never had it cycled to begin with.

Jonez

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
In a heavily planted tank, you cannot assume it is not cycled when no nitrates are present, especially as the OP is completing water changes every 5-6 days.

I looked at the pictures of the OP's tanks and the fact that they are both very new. With only a few plants and no water conditioners to remove chlorine in a tank that was set up in June or July I think he never had it cycled to begin with.
Not true. I've used stress coat from the get-go, so no chlorine/chloramine/heavy metals. I've been through the entire nitrogen cycle (heavily I might add. lol) weeks ago and everything's leveled off to zeros (with this occasional .25 here and there for ammonia [usually around water change times]). I've got about 3 1/2" or so of gravel, chalk full of bacteria, plus the biowheel, and extra biomedia I've added in the filters.
As for my plants, I have about 14 in the 16 gallon and about 7 in the 10 gallon (not including all the baby tears) which are all growing like crazy.
My water is stable, fish are happy, plants are happy -- all things in their proper place, you might say.

I am going to pick up some Prime this afternoon, looks like great stuff.

-Cheers

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Prime is great stuff.

To me, it sounds like you are cycled. Plants can speed up cycling, so the fact that your tank's been established for close to a couple of months, is heavily planted with tons of bio media, etc., makes me think you are good.

As far as the occasional ammonia spikes, small ones can happen time to time if you have a fish loss or overfeed, etc. It just happens sometimes. Prime helps convert that little bit of ammonia to less harmful ammonium.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom