Question Question about when to put in breeding box

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello!
I am a newbie to fishkeeping let alone breeding, I have done my best to do as much research as possible before I got my tank and I feel pretty confident about things so far.
About 5 days ago I realized my Platy was pregnant. She is quite round and I can see the gravid spot now, its fairly dark. I don't know if it happened in my tank or at the LFS because I've only had her for about a week and a half and I don't know how long it takes to see the spot..? (Meaning, theres some question as to who the father is lol)
I got a birthing box to put in my tank, one of those roomy ones that have a slotted shelf mid-way through the middle and then a net covers the whole thing. I got some baby fish food.... My question is when do I put her in there?? I tried a few days ago, but she seemed really frantic to get out so after an hour or so of her not calming down, I put her back in the main tank. I don't want her to get stressed..... I know it says they get a bit of a triangular shape to the body? Is that the back part, or the front part? Cuz looking at her right now, shes getting a bit square, but its more the front part then the back part.....
Any advice as to when I should put her in there, and how to put her in there with the least amount of stress?
Thank you!

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How long do you think she has been pregnant for? The gestation usually takes around 20- 40 days, according to what I've read. Maybe check youtube for videos of livebearers giving birth so you will know what to look for.

I've never bred any livebearers so good luck with your new fry! Congratulations!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Watch for her to start breathing hard, hiding out or even acting really erratic. Its something you'll know better the more you see it. Breeding boxes are hit and miss, its best to have a separate tank or at least a tank divider, although I have had great success with breeding boxes as well. If you have any kind of moss to throw in there it might help to calm her, another option is to put a blanket over the tank.

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay, when I put the blanket over the tank, should I turn the tank light off too? And so far shes not frantic, shes swimming around looking for food 24/7, and the male is sort of just following her around. It sort of reminds me what a guy looks like when his wife is dragging him around the mall shopping for shoes lol

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i have got a pregnant platy in a seperate tank at the moment.
i have never had any success with the breeder boxes or nets... i had around 10 fish in a breeder box and they all dissapeared together one day.
with the net the baby fish get caught up between the frame and the net.

Both ways ended in none of the baby fish surviving =[, so i have a seperate fry tank now which i also keep shrimps in.

i have never been able to tell when the fish are about to have their fry, so i couldn't just leave the light off and put a towel over the tank for weeks.

what i would do is leave the pregnant fish in the main tank and then collect the fry with a net, then the pregnant fish wont get as stressed and is not cramped up in a breeder box for possibly weeks.

also do they often have less than 5 fry each time?
i think that the most i have had in one go is 7 or 8 which is not much considering that they can have 30 at a time.

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmm see I do not have another tank, I just started fishkeeping maybe a month and a bit ago. I am hoping to get another tank in another 3 or so months, we are in the middle of a move and I was promised I could have a big big tank once we get settled in.
But for now, this is just sort of something I am dealing with for the moment. I bought a birthing box, its quite big but it does have that netting that you were talking about.
I did find homes for my Zebra Danio so there are not alot of aggressive fish left in the tank now. I am hoping that will help when the time comes...
I have a large bucket, I guess I could put them in there for awhile??

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
no i dont think that a bucket would work, unless you could get a filter, a light and a heater for it. also they need to be seperate for quite a while (2 or 3 months maybe before they are big enough to go in with platies. maybe even longer if you have other bigger fish.)
i think that the best thing for you is the breeder box, they seem to be very successful for most people. my main problem is timing it right so that the pregnant platy isnt in there for too long.
My pregnant platy still hasnt had the baby fish yet which shows how bad i am at judging it.
also you have got to make sure that you have enough room for all of the baby fish when they get bigger because most people get 5-10 fry at a time.

hopefully someone who has had lots of success with the breeder box will post here to help you out.
good luck though =]

Last edited:

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I plan on finding homes for most of the ones that survive, maybe keep a few that I like. The bigger tank is going to be a min. of 175 gal so I should have enough room in a few months hopefully! We get to move at the end of May, so hopefully by the end of July I should have my new tank

I think I am going to just let her have her babies, and then try and catch them and put them in the breeding box. I broke off one of the shelves to make more room for them, since the mom isn't going to be actually in there.
But it takes up about 1/5 of my tank in terms of space, so hopefully they can live in there for awhile.

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
that should work fine. although it's a bit annoying trying to find the baby fish they usually hide in plants or against the sand. you should have gotten most of them after about 20 or 30 mins of looking.
the 175 gallon tank will be huge!
you must have a different breeder box to me if it takes up 1/5 of the tank.
ill have to tell you how many fry my platy has because it cant be many more days now until she has them =P

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oohhh exciting!!
I don't think mine is due for another two weeks, maybe less.
I will do my best to find them, luckily I have 20/20 vision and I am pretty good at spotting tiny details.
I got the biggest breeder box I could find, so if it takes up 1/5th of a 25 gal tank, I'm guessing it is ment to be about 5 gal worth of space? I dunno, I just felt like I wanted lots of room for the female if she is going to be in there, because the box said to put her in there a week or so before she is due. Now I come to find I'm not going to be putting her in there at all lol

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
wow a 5 gallon freeder box!
that is huge
it is the same size as my fry tank... although there are only 4 in there at the moment
i always find it hard to see the baby fish and i get bored really quickly so i give up.
well good luck

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I didn't realize that was considered a "huge" type of breeder box
They had three different type of box's on sale and I just picked this one because you could put it in your tank and it didn't need a special filter or anything. Neat!
I like keeping an eye on what is going on in the tank, checking on how many batches of snail eggs are popping up so I can eliminate some, making sure the little frog eats, its interesting to watch
Good luck with your preggy platy as well!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom