Question about water changes

1. mistycheri Member Member

I know I have to de-chlorinate the tap water for water changes. What I don't know is, if I'm making a 25% water change, do I add the stuff to make the water safe for the fish before I put it in the tank or afterwards? And how do I know how much to put in the tap water? They come in tablets that look like alka-selser, and one tablet cleans 10 gals. of water. How much do I use for just a partial water change?

2. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

First, you put it into your fresh water b4 its added, and second, forget the tablets. They're a waste of money, and you can't break them or anything for a partial water change. Get something like AquaSafe by Tetra, or Stress Coat (not Stress Zyme, thats a cycling product) for treating your water.
    Good luck with your tank, and welcome to fishlore! ;)

3. mistycheri Member Member

Thanks for the Help. I think I have some of the Tetracare that came with the tank.

4. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

or just forget it completyly and let your water sit out for 24-48 hours and the chlorine naturally evaporates sure is a heck of a lot cheaper and easir that what i do i have a spare 10 gallon tank that i have a couple of 1 gallon jugs that i fill up then put them in the 10 gallon so if they leak i dont have a mess and it works out fine

5. mistycheri Member Member

I just got the idea of filling up this 55 liter container I have, I put the tetracare conditioner in a used a small pail to change the tank water. That way I'll already have the water ready tommorrow when I change it again. I'm also treating my fish for ich so I'm changing the water alot. I have 2 platy's, 3 panda cats, 2 green tiger barbs, and 3 regular tiger barbs. I've already lost 2 bala sharks and my algea eater in the last 2 days.

6. Jon Well Known Member Member

boiling water also removes/ degrades the chloramine/ chlorine... Check your water some times it doesnt even have chlorine... like if you are on a well.

I dont do anything to my water b4 it enters my freshwater cuz i have an R/O on the house and im on a well... just depends on your water.

7. mistycheri Member Member

I don't know for sure about the clorine in my tapwater, but I do know I'm on city water.

8. Jon Well Known Member Member

then you probably have chlorine... treat your water, boil your water, or let it sit out for a day or two in order to get the chlorine / chloramine out.

9. jim55379 Member Member

That's interesting.... I didn't know that chlorine would go away by itself in 48 hours. I agree with emma. those tablets stink. to hard to break. I think I have the tetra safe liquid. 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons. So if you have a 10 gallon you can remove 2.5 gallons and add 1/4 teaspoon of the liquid stuff. I keep a bunch of 5 gallon buckets in the garage for this purpose. I mix the stuff in with the water and stir it with a big spoon so I also get a consistant water temperature reading. Then I would add about 1.5 gallon and stick the glass thermometer in there and wait about 20 seconds for a reading then depending where your temp is add hot or cold water to keep the temp as close as possible to the reading in your tank. Always put a big towel on the floor by the tank because Murphy's law also applies to filling tanks. If it can happen it will happen and you will be walking around the house in wet socks :-[ I hope your ick gets better in your fish. I have never had any luck with this disease :-\ ???good luck

10. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

That is fine if you don't have chloramines. If you have chloramines, then you will have to treat it. I'm not sure that boiling will do that.

11. jim55379 Member Member

I am not sure if I have chloramines or not neither do most of the readers so I would probably play it safe and use the tetra safe chemical .. :-X

12. vin Well Known Member Member

Play it safe and treat your water. Most city supplies contain both chlorine and chloramines.......I also aerate my water before changing it. I have a little air pump with an air stone that I use. It helps to 'gas out' the water that's under pressure in your pipes.

Since doing that I don't have to use any pH balancers as my pH falls out to 6.8 naturally once the water's been aerated.

13. Jon Well Known Member Member

i thought boiling it removed chlorine and left the amonia part of chloramines but i am not sure

14. vin Well Known Member Member

Any water treatment neutralizes chloramines by breaking the chloramine bond, but in doing so it releases ammonia......But apparently the amount is small enough for the aerobic bacteria to break down......

Boiling out water should get rid of both, but I'm not sure. I've never read anywhere that boiling water is of any benefit. The best way that I've read is through reverse osmosis......