Question About Water Changes With Python Filling Hose Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jeffsglo, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Jeffsglo

Jeffsglo Valued Member Member

When I fill my 55 gallon aquarium back up after water change. And I’m using the python hot and cold faucet adapter. Is the water heater hot water bad for the fish at all? Thanks

2. C

Charlie Reel New Member Member

Use a thermometer to check the temp and match it to your tank. Also always add Prime after each and every water change.

3. Ryan P

Ryan P Valued Member Member

so you have 2 separate faucet for hot and cold?

4. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

No water coming from the water heater is fine for your fish. It's the same water as the cold water, just heater up.

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I usually just measure the temperature of the tank, and the faucet, and carefully adjust as needed!

6. CraniumRex

CraniumRex Well Known Member Member

@Jeffsglo I use a Python as well.

Couple of things - sorry, not that you asked but hope it's useful. You probably already know this stuff, but worth mentioning:

1. I always add Prime while I'm doing the water change, and the instructions say to dose the full volume of the tank (capful ought to do it). I pour it in as the water is coming out of the tube and direct the flow to mix it. Just my habit, but I've heard of too many people who have forgotten.

2. I get a lot of CO2 bubbles if it let the tube rest in the water. To eliminate or minimize this, I have the tube suspended above the water to create a splash, which helps to dissipate the CO2. It also lets me continue to check the temp as I go.

3. I never walk away from the tank when it's filling! Well, that's not true. I did once and it wasn't pretty.

4. I know you have other folks in the house, so unless you have a tankless water heater that maintains the hot at a steady temperature irrespective of what other water is being run in the house, let everyone know you're doing water changes so no toilets get flushed or water turned on elsewhere in the house. It's an easy thing to forget, I know!

7. OP
    OP
    Jeffsglo

Thank you very much. I have my 55 gallon aquarium coming to the house this week. I do have a two faucets in the basement where the tank will be. But I am ordering the 100 ft. And using upstairs faucet. Where hot and cold come out same faucet. I’m looking at the python that has the drain in the sink first to get temp close. Then it starts to fill. I’m not sure how the removal works. I think there is a wY to clean gravel and add at same time. But will modify as needed. Thanks again

8. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

The removal works by using the vacuum that’s created by turning the faucet. It spits the water out but at the same time it uses a lot of water to suck the gravel. So if your draining 35 gallons your using an extra 35 gallons to drain the tank. So your dumping a total of 70 g of water into the sink and adding 35g of water. So your using a total of 70g to replace 35g of water.

How do you rectify this? Get a pond pump. You disconnect the siphon side out connect to the pond pump and put into the tank and let it drain the tank for you. If you want to vacuum I recommend you swirl the water so it can pick up the junk and stuff and let the pump suck it up...or siphon it yourself into a 5 gallon bucket.

The pond pump works great cause your only using 35g to replace your water instead of 70g.

As for the prime...people use caps to measure. I use a spray bottle. One trigger of the spray = 10mg of water...same amount that you need. Easy to use and saves over pouring.

9. OP
    OP
    Jeffsglo

Ok thanks, I can do water changes with pump in aquarium. And also siphon substrate with siphon into container. Then use pump in container to pump to drain. And then to fill with faucet at tank temperature. Got it! Thanks so much.

10. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

@Fashooga , you're assuming it is a 1:1 ratio. I have a feeling it takes more than 35g of tap water to drain 35 gallons of tank water. Some people have claimed that once you get the siphon started, you can turn off the tap, and it will continue to siphon, but I haven't tried doing that.

11. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

It will not continue siphoning unless you have the vacuum above the level from where the water is sourced from.
    The process is entirely easier if you leave the tap running while you vacuum.

12. FishMich

FishMich Valued Member Member

Just got to finally use our Python with our 90 gallon tank. I tried just turning on the water to start the siphon, and then turning off the water when there was a decent flow going. The siphoning action stopped every single time we tried. I was planning on using this method, because I didn’t want to waste tons of water each water change. So may look into the other methods offered above.

13. The Rover

The Rover Well Known Member Member

It’s not really that the big of a deal. There is no way you waste that much water vacuuming the tank out. Once you begin the siphoning it will drain your tank relatively quickly.

Don’t make it more complicated than it needs to be. Why add pumps and more hoses? The Python is supposed to make your life easier not more complicated!

And I dose Prime before I start the fill and then dose again as I fill as I had a bad experience and just double dose to make sure there are no issues adding tap.

14. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Your right, I'm assuming 1:1 ratio...I'm not sure what the actual ratio is. I have tried using it with the water off and let it siphon and drain the tank...it takes too long, hence the pond pump to make the draining go quicker.

15. OP
    OP
    Jeffsglo

My 55 gallon aquarium will be in the basement. My faucet that has hot and cold in one is upstairs. So the hose would be 50-75 ft long. I’m thinking I will use syphon to clean substrate into bucket. And use pump to pump bucket into basement sump pump. Which goes to septic tank outside. Just works for me better

16. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

I do find the siphon is a tiny bit quicker if I disconnect the hose from the adapter and let it sit in the bottom of the tub(drain). I wrap some excess hose around handles to avoid the hose slipping out of the tub causing a huge mess.

17. dcocinci

dcocinci Valued Member Member

I have a 65 gallon that is about 2 months old that I've been using a siphon and buckets for up until last week to change water. That got old pretty quick. I found a new 25' Python at an online auction for $15 last week and used it yesterday for the first time. It is easier for sure, but I think it takes a bit longer. Seems like it took forever to drain the water, I tried with faucet on and off.

The hook that they sell should help a little because at least then I won't have to sit there and hold the hose at the tank the entire time. Guess I need to check into these pumps.

18. OP
    OP
    Jeffsglo

Yes, I plan on using the syphon to clean substrate. Then using pump for water change. The using a hose to fill bucket up. Leaving that set overnight then pumping back in. I will have a sponge filter at the bottom of the tank to keep the filtration. Although if you have two buckets, you can fill the replacement bucket with hose 24 hrs before cleaning.

19. Brannor

Brannor Valued Member Member

I saw the python... then figured I could do the same just using two hoses... one that is connected to a gravel vacuum and drains to outside, the other is connected to a faucet inside using a 'clean' hose that is heat adjusted. Drain the water 'out the door', then fill from the clean heated tap water. Same end result.

Though initially for my gravel clean, I use the clear pipe to suck into a white bucket so I can make sure I haven't sucked up any fry/shrimp; after that I stick the vac into the substrata to suck out water.

-G

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice