Question about water change

airfix2

how should i make the water the same temp as the aquarium water when replacing the water? ive always done it by warming up the water from the tap until it i feel that it is the same temp, although i have heard that heating up water from the tap has a greater risk of there being harmful metals in the water. does seachem prime also detoxify these metals?

WRWAquarium

I've always done it that way and dosed with prime.

ProudPapa

Depending on the water temperature coming out of your tap it might not be an issue. I live in southeast Texas, and I don't add any warm water; just the coldest it comes out. Of course that would be a problem in other areas. My wife and I went on vacation in the mountains in northern New Mexico last year, and that water was cold straight out of the tap.

SparkyJones

I dunno, my tap water usually raises the tank temperature a degree or two if I use it immediately and do a 20% it comes out kinda warm at 78F, and my tanks sit without a heater year round at 76F, but a degree or two shift doesn't really matter.

What I personally do is I have a floating thermometer. I stick a finger in the tank to guess at the temp then turn the faucet on and try to get it close to "skin feel", Then I adjust the temp gallon after gallon, one hotter or one colder depending on what each gallon added is doing to the tank, if it's edging up to 77F I put a cooler one in, If it's edging down to75F, I put a warmer one in.

Pretty much I dose 2 drops of prime in a gallon jug, fill the jug and put it immediately in the tank. just try my best to keep the temp around where it was before I started by using the thermometer on the tanks and it's always been fine.

Flyfisha

If your house was made after 1960 don’t worry about using the water from the hot tap.

Slightly cooler is safer than slightly warmer.
Cold water is used to trigger spawning in many tropical species .

SparkyJones

If your house was made after 1960 don’t worry about using the water from the hot tap.

Slightly cooler is safer than slightly warmer.
Cold water is used to trigger spawning in many tropical species .
yes this! my angels love laying eggs after a water change. I think the pH drops a little, TDS goes down, and they think it was rain with the slight drop in temp and that triggers them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Francine
Replies
Views
devsi
Replies
Views
LowConductivity
Replies
Views