Question About Transitioning Tank Cycle From Previous Tank To New One

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by nataliagx3, Apr 14, 2017.

1. n

nataliagx3 Valued Member Member

Transitioning from my 17 gal tank to a 29 gal. So far, I put in the new substrate after cleaning it and filled the tank with water + prime. I'm going to go get my new filter from the store today and I wanted to make things clear. I was told I could either hang my old filter along with my new one for my cycle to continue in my new tank. Could I also just use the new bigger filter and add the old media into the new filter? If I did that would I take out the new media or just mix the old with the new media in the same filter? Transitioning from the 30 aquaclear to the 50.

2. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Hello!
    You can do either (run both for about a month) or swap your bio media to the new filter. Either will work just fine, add all of your old media and top off with new media. Do not rinse it unless with treated water :)

I do have a question though, your post makes it unclear if your old filter is still running? If not the BB may have already been destroyed (it cant be let dry out). If its still going on the smaller tank than you are just fine to swap it right over into your new one :)

If you are not going to immediately put fish into your new setup I would add a pinch of food to keep your bacteria fed :)

Good luck, enjoy the new tank!

3. C

Chaory Valued Member Member

Just add in the old media to the new one, just make sure not to use untreated tap water onto old media.

4. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

If you're going to keep the old tank then take about HALF of your old media and put that in the new filter with the new media. That will seed that filter and keep the media in there for about 1 month.

If you don't want to run the old tank then you can just move all of the media over to the new filter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice