55 Gallon Tank Question about the python clean and fill kit

Stridulent
It says and demonstrates in the video that you can put water from your sink straight into your tank because the python will aerate the water and remove the toxins. Is this true? Or should I treat the water as it is being put in? Or should I not use it at all and just treat the water before I put it in?

This kit looks like it would make water changes a heck of a lot easier, but is it safe?

Freshwater tropical set up...

Werewolf
According to other threads where the same question has been asked you should add your dechlorinator/water conditioner of your choice as you add the water from the python to your aquarium. You should add an amount of water conditioner to treat the volume of water your aquarium holds not the volume of water you are adding.

For example if you have a 30 gal tank and do a 50% water change you would add conditioner to treat 30 gals not the 15 gals you are replacing.

Do a search on Python. There are a number of threads that address your question in more detail.

LyndaB
Not sure which video you were watching but no, it does not remove toxins from the water. Whatever you have in the faucet, that's what's going into the tank. It does aerate it just due to the pressure though. It's not some rocket science thing.

I love our python and can't imagine having 4 tanks without it.

chevysoldier
I use one. When you add the water from the faucet, just add enough conditioner to treat the entire tank volume. So if you have a 50 gallon tank but you change 10 gallons, add enough conditioner to treat the 50 gallons. I use Prime, as do many folks on here.

Kopeth
Can someone verify why treating the water column is necessary when using a python.

If you have a 50 gallon tank with 0ppm ammonia in it.

Then you remove and add 10 gallon of water with 1ppm of ammonia in it.

Your tank should have .2ppm of total ammonia in it.

Why would you treat prime for 1ppm of ammonia if your water column only has .2?

LyndaB
When I do water changes, I only add Prime to dose the amount of water I'm changing, not the full tank. Opinions seem to be split down the middle for this.

Kopeth
LyndaB said:
When I do water changes, I only add Prime to dose the amount of water I'm changing, not the full tank. Opinions seem to be split down the middle for this.
Thank you!

I thought I was going crazy :shock:

I never understood the concept or the theory behind it. I typically meet somewhere in the middle. I treat for about 1.5-2 times the amount of water I'm adding.

So if i'm adding 10 gallons I'll treat for 15-20 just to be safe.

I also mix the Prime with a cup of water and add it slowly as the tank refills.

Stridulent
Werewolf said:
According to other threads where the same question has been asked you should add your dechlorinator/water conditioner of your choice as you add the water from the python to your aquarium. You should add an amount of water conditioner to treat the volume of water your aquarium holds not the volume of water you are adding.

For example if you have a 30 gal tank and do a 50% water change you would add conditioner to treat 30 gals not the 15 gals you are replacing.

Do a search on Python. There are a number of threads that address your question in more detail.
Sorry I didn't look for another thread first

I was just curious because I do currently live in the city and the water here is pretty chlorinated (but I occasionally drink). I just don't want to get my tank set up and have everything flop and then have to pull it all apart.

On another note, you guys are a really great community. You are all extremely active and helpful, and I didn't expect these amounts of replies when I first signed up. Thanks so much for all the help so far!

Kopeth
Welcome to Fishlore!

Don't forget to update your aquarium info..so when you ask a question we will have a good understanding of your tank stock and equipment

Stridulent
Kopeth said:
Welcome to Fishlore!

Don't forget to update your aquarium info..so when you ask a question we will have a good understanding of your tank stock and equipment
Getting it today!!!!

I'm so excited!!!

Ask my girlfriend, I've been driving her crazy!

LyndaB
This is a very helpful forum, I've found. It's helped me from making a whole lotta mistakes and learning things the hard way.

Roscoe Jackson
Stridulent said:
Getting it today!!!!

I'm so excited!!!

Ask my girlfriend, I've been driving her crazy!
What size of tank are you getting? Getting your first tank is exciting!

Is this the video?

They do add conditioner when they are filling the tank.
Just add what ever what conditioner you use,I use Prime, as you are re-filling your tank.

The video is pretty cheesy. They do say with smaller changes,you don't need to add de-chlorinator. I, and I'm sure everyone else here does when using a python. You should too.

Stridulent
Roscoe Jackson said:
What size of tank are you getting? Getting your first tank is exciting!

Is this the video?

They do add conditioner when they are filling the tank.
Just add what ever what conditioner you use,I use Prime, as you are re-filling your tank.

The video is pretty cheesy. They do say with smaller changes,you don't need to add de-chlorinator. I, and I'm sure everyone else here does when using a python. You should too.
Yup, that's the video. I'm getting a 55 gallon. I use to have 12 gallons all the time as a kid, but I never did the whole nitrogen cycle or anything. I plan on doing things right this time!

Which actually brings me to another question: can I use the python to fill my tank the first time and mix the conditioner and safe start as I am doing it?

jetajockey
python rocks. I use it to do WC on 13 tanks every three days. I siphon them all down, add water conditioner to them all, and then refill them all. I just eyeball the amount of conditioner, I only condition for the amount of water I'm adding.

LyndaB
Stridulent said:
can I use the python to fill my tank the first time and mix the conditioner and safe start as I am doing it?
Yes indeedy..... you can even use it to fill your bathtub for your rubber duckies swimtime..... only I wouldn't use Prime in the tub.....

Roscoe Jackson
Stridulent said:
Which actually brings me to another question: can I use the python to fill my tank the first time and mix the conditioner and safe start as I am doing it?
I would wait until things settle down after the fill to add the safe start. It probably will not hurt,but the stuff isn't cheap,so why risk it. I would fill your tank and add the conditioner with the python,turn on the filter,and let things settle down for an hour or so,then add the safe start.

Stridulent
Roscoe Jackson said:
I would wait until things settle down after the fill to add the safe start. It probably will not hurt,but the stuff isn't cheap,so why risk it. I would fill your tank and add the conditioner with the python,turn on the filter,and let things settle down for an hour or so,then add the safe start.
Thanks, Roscoe!

jetajockey
Wait 24 hours after adding any water conditioner before you add TSS. This was recommended by their customer support techs.

Stridulent
jetajockey said:
Wait 24 hours after adding any water conditioner before you add TSS. This was recommended by their customer support techs.
Thanks!

Gah, I'm so excited. I've got all these instructions written out on paper.

Roscoe Jackson
jetajockey said:
That's interesting. I wonder why?

LyndaB
I don't think TSS is compatible with some dechlorinators.

chevysoldier
LyndaB said:
I am in no way an expert, but on the back of the bottle, it says when adding for a water change, add enough to treat the entire tank. But I have heard people doing it both ways.

LyndaB
I believe when we got the first tanks up and running, my husband, who is the primary Prime dispenser , received his information from a different fish forum to just add Prime for the water you were changing out. It definitely has not hurt our fish at all. For the most part, our tanks are super healthy and we get consistent great readings. I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

jetajockey
Roscoe Jackson said:
That's interesting. I wonder why?

I never got a definitive answer from them about it, but they said in the Q&A to wait 24 hours after adding any water conditioner that detoxes ammonia or chloramines. I followed up by emailing them and asking them if it I had to wait after using their own water conditioning product (Aquasafe) and they said yes, to wait 24 hours even with their own product.

Honestly with the way the marketing and customer service works with these kind of products, they like to keep as much hocus pocus and mermaid magic surrounding them as possible, because I honestly believe the ingredients and methodology used to create their product is extremely simplistic when broken down.

IIRC Dr. TI'm himself (developer of biospira which was bought by tetra-tss) said that his product (dr. tims one and only) is just bacteria and water. Established sponge filter squeezing anyone?

LyndaB
Q: I am using Prime® to control ammonia but my test kit says it is not doing anything, in fact it looks like it added ammonia! What is going on?

A: A Nessler based kit will not read ammonia properly if you are using Prime®... it will look "off scale", sort of a muddy brown (incidentally a Nessler kit will not work with any other products similar to Prime®). A salicylate based kit can be used, but with caution. Under the conditions of a salicylate kit the ammonia-Prime complex will be broken down eventually giving a false reading of ammonia (same as with other products like Prime®), so the key with a salicylate kit is to take the reading right away. However, the best solution ;-) is to use our MultiTest: Ammonia™ kit... it uses a gas exchange sensor system which is not affected by the presence of Prime® or other similar products. It also has the added advantage that it can detect the more dangerous free ammonia and distinguish it from total ammonia (which is both the free and ionized forms of ammonia (the ionized form is not toxic)).

Does that help in some weird, must be a scientist to understand, kind of way?

Roscoe Jackson
jetajockey said:
(dr. tims one and only) is just bacteria and water. Established sponge filter squeezing anyone?

I gots lots of dirty meida myself

Thanks for the info.

chevysoldier
LyndaB said:
I believe when we got the first tanks up and running, my husband, who is the primary Prime dispenser , received his information from a different fish forum to just add Prime for the water you were changing out. It definitely has not hurt our fish at all. For the most part, our tanks are super healthy and we get consistent great readings. I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Hmm, interesting. Please don't misunderstand me, I wasn't calling you wrong by any long shot. At first I started just to add for the amount of the WC. Then I reread the directions. Got to thinking about it, but it makes sense to me to add for the whole tank. Everyone has their own ways, and as you said if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Roscoe Jackson
I have completely forgot to add water conditioner, on a few ocassions. I never had any problems.

Dilutaion is the key,I think. I always change 50% of the water in my tanks. I think maybe the old water in the tank will dilute the new water enough,so you won't have any serious issues. I could be wrong. But I know that when I forgot to add it,I would test the tank for a week,and never had ammonia or nitrite.

Latest threads

Top Bottom