Question about tetras

1. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Hey so I'm going to start up a 20 gallon tank. I have about a month to do research(I'm going for a week vacation at the end of this month).
    I want to include neon tetras in my tank. I also have found a strong liking towards black neon tetras. I was wondering if they'd school together?
    Thanks!

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

All schooling fish should be kept in as big a number of the same species as the tank allows, but 6 is a minimum

3. fish gazer Member Member

From my understanding, in general, neons swim mid to bottom level of the tank and black tetras swim mid to top.

It's possible they may school together at times. But I'm not sure how tightly they school in low numbers.

4. Jake98 Member Member

Generally speaking the black neons and normal neon tetras will not exclusively shoal together, they may intermingle from time to time; but more often than not they will simply stick with their conspecifics.

In a 20 gallon, preferably a 20g Long you could have two nice shoals of 6 neons and 6 blacks, granted further stocking would be a bit limited. I think it could look pretty nice.

5. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I see this in my tetra tank. Glowlight neons mingle more than blue neons.
    [​IMG]