Question About Tank Swim Space (betta)..

Barch

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 10 gallon tank with one betta fish. I have had this fish over one year now, and saved him from deaths door more than once due to ammonia poisoning.

He is thriving right now, and seems really happy, always makes bubble nests, and interacts with us when we approach the tank. My question is regarding the amount of plants I have in the tank. I have a total of 5 silk plants, 1 plastic plant that has been with the little dude since day 1 but now only serves to break up the water current under the filter, he doesn't go in or near this one since he enjoys resting on the silk ones.

Lastly we have about four live plants, Java Fern and Water Wistera. They have been in the tank for about a year as well and really have thrived.

I have attached a picture of my tank please let me know if this is enough swim space for my fish or if I should remove some plants to open it up more.

Thank you

Attachments

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It looks fine to me. The decorations just give him more things to weave around and explore.

LagerthaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Barch said:
Hello, I have a 10 gallon tank with one betta fish. I have had this fish over one year now, and saved him from deaths door more than once due to ammonia poisoning.

He is thriving right now, and seems really happy, always makes bubble nests, and interacts with us when we approach the tank. My question is regarding the amount of plants I have in the tank. I have a total of 5 silk plants, 1 plastic plant that has been with the little dude since day 1 but now only serves to break up the water current under the filter, he doesn't go in or near this one since he enjoys resting on the silk ones.

Lastly we have about four live plants, Java Fern and Water Wistera. They have been in the tank for about a year as well and really have thrived.

I have attached a picture of my tank please let me know if this is enough swim space for my fish or if I should remove some plants to open it up more.

I think it looks fine. As long as your little guy can get around the tank they should be fine.

Thank you

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Like above, I would leave it. Bettas in the wild tend to seek out areas filled with plants, roots and reeds as they are pretty low on the food chain, and will quickly end up as a snack in 'open waters'. They really prefer a densely planted tank for security IMO.

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks absolutely fine.

If you want to, you can even move some of plants and decor around from time to time. This will give the betta something 'new' to explore and keep him intrigued

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom