Question about tangs and tank size etc..

Gern

So I currently have a 55g DT, but am about to inherit a bignose unicorn tang. It is about 6in long.

I have read on liveaquaria that they should have a 350g DT... Does that sound correct?

I priced out enough acrylic ($700-800) to build a tank that size should I need to, but it just seems a bit extreme.

All this being said, what should I do? And if I do need a larger tank, can I achieve that for less cost?

kanzekatores

Large reef tanks can be fun, but 350g is a lot. I would say you could safely cut it down to at most 300g. As for finding cheap options, there's lots of good options you can find online like on eBay or craigslist. That 55g could serve as a sump as well

Upvote 0

Jesterrace

So I currently have a 55g DT, but am about to inherit a bignose unicorn tang. It is about 6in long.

I have read on liveaquaria that they should have a 350g DT... Does that sound correct?

I priced out enough acrylic ($700-800) to build a tank that size should I need to, but it just seems a bit extreme.

All this being said, what should I do? And if I do need a larger tank, can I achieve that for less cost?

Unicorn Tangs get huge and aren't the easiest to care for. Personally I would pass unless you are really committed to getting a 300+ gallon setup. The best way to go would be to try and find a used 300+ gallon setup. Even then you are going to be well into the $2-$3k range for this size of a project (and that's assuming you find live rock cheap).

Upvote 0

Rcslade124

Look up king of diy plywood tank build. Won't be cheap but half the price of a 300+ aquarium. I don't think 700-800 will Be enough in acrylic to build a tank. You need 3/4 inche sheets of acrylic. Plus equal thickness for some braces on top.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
ParrotCichlid
  • Solved
  • SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Plant CO2
Replies