Question about switching out filters

1. Jiggyjigmah Member Member

I have an Aqua Clear 50 set up. It's been up and running since August of last year. In it I have Biomax in a bag, and a sponge with some good BB. I also have an Aqua Clear 70. Just the filter box, intake tube and the impeller. I have some extra sponge kicking around, too. I am wondering if I could place the sponge from the 50 into the 70 filter box, and cut a piece of new sponge and wedge it in there. Also, use the 50's bag of biomax for the 70. Plus, I'll get some Purigen.

The motors for most of the aquaclears are the same. I can just add the 70's impeller to the motor that I used on the 50. Does that sound like it would work?

Thoughts?

2. delta5 Well Known Member Member

On the 70 i'd buy bulk media and a package of mesh bags. Fill the 70 with 90% bio-media and top it off with polishing. OR do the same but have a thin sponge that is vertical.

3. Jiggyjigmah Member Member

Polishing?

4. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Since most of the bacteria should be living in the ceramic media, if it were me I would just buy a new sponge that will fit the AC70. I would then get a package of ceramic media along with a new mesh bag, dump all the ceramic media from the old filter into the new bag along with some additional new ceramic media and call it a day.

But that said, what you are proposing should work also.