Question about stocking for 20G Long

PlasmoticOdysse

Just a random question that I havent got a direct answer too.
I have 20G long Im cycling (fishless) and I am starting to thinking about what stock I want to put into it because my tank is almost cycled
I have ALWAYS wanted a shark (i.e bala,rainbow,redtail) but i know that the balas and rainbow get BIG
But I have heard the redtail doesnt get as nearly as big as the bala so, just out of curiosity, could I put maybe 2 or 3 red tails in a 20 gallon long?
Or is should I wait because I live in an apartment and as much as I want a 55gal, Im waiting until i get a house so I dont have to move such a big tank .
Just asking those who know more than I! So please no hate if it's a dumb question

cdwag29

A 20 Gallon Long could technically hold one temporarily, but never as a long term. They grow quickly and can reach up to 6 inches long, and the females get wider than the males. A 20 gallon long simply does not have the correct footprint they need to thrive. The tank also would not have enough room for more than one; housing multiple in a tank that small is a path towards aggression.

So, the answer is no, I would not unless you see a large upgrade as a possibilty in the very near future. Even then, I prefer to wait until you have a suitable tank.

Fishyfishyfishman

I think bala's need much larger than 55 but I maybe wrong, They can grow to 14" or more from what i can tell. Six foot tank Seems to be the recommended. I think rainbows are okay in a 55 but someone with experience will know better.

PlasmoticOdysse

A 20 Gallon Long could technically hold one temporarily, but never as a long term. They grow quickly and can reach up to 6 inches long, and the females get wider than the males. A 20 gallon long simply does not have the correct footprint they need to thrive. The tank also would not have enough room for more than one; housing multiple in a tank that small is a path towards aggression.

So, the answer is no, I would not unless you see a large upgrade as a possibilty in the very near future. Even then, I prefer to wait until you have a suitable tank.
Word. Much appreciated for the insight. Im still trying to get ideas for what i want in the tank. But i dont know what would to be too big and or too much tbh

cdwag29

Myself and many others could help you out with that! Are you looking for schools, a community, or one or two fish larger fish? Any ideas of fish you like?

Fishyfishyfishman

Any colors or personalities in particular? is the tank planted? Could make a difference.

PlasmoticOdysse

Thats the odd part, i dont know what i want at the moment in my mind I kinda want a german blue ram, honey gourami and a few oto's but im worried that the ram might be a bit aggressive to the gourami :/ but I want colorful fish but more like the ram I mentioned because i like the solid, "POP" of the color to be quite honest

Fishyfishyfishman

Rams, honey gouramies, I don’t know if they can be kept in A 20 gallon long but they might (someone please confirm Or deny) But what about paradise fish? They are vibrant and I would say “POP” quite a bit. But I am not sure on anything other than they look really cool.

ProudPapa

Thats the odd part, i dont know what i want at the moment in my mind I kinda want a german blue ram, honey gourami and a few oto's but im worried that the ram might be a bit aggressive to the gourami :/ but I want colorful fish but more like the ram I mentioned because i like the solid, "POP" of the color to be quite honest

It's difficult for German Blue rams to thrive at temperatures below the low 80°'s F, and that's too warm for the other fish you listed.

cdwag29

As far as colors go, killifish have some amazing colors and you could have a few in a 20 gallon long, depending on the species.

According to seriously fish, for a pair of paradise fish you would need a tank with dimensions 80 cm by 30 cm, which is roughly the size of a 20 gallon long.

Have you looked into Bolivian rams at all? I've heard of some keeping them with honey gourami but it depends on the personality of the ram; some can be bullies.

I would hold off for a while on the ottos until the tank has been up and running for at least 6 months. They tend to starve in newly set up tanks.

e_watson09

As others have mentioned even red tail sharks will not work, along with the size issue they're also incredibly aggressive in smaller tanks even just temporary tanks.

Here's some things I love to put in 20g long tanks that have color (obviously not all of these at once, just giving you a starting point)
Neon Tetras
Guppies (specifically 2-3 males)
Platy
Dwarf Gourami (I love the honeys personally)
Cherry Barbs
Pygmy Cories
Mystery Snails
Celestial Pearl Danio
Chili Rasboras
Endlers
Shrimp
Nerite Snails

I'd avoid otos although they are small they need large schools and natural algae, they tend to not eat commercial diets and a 20g simply does not have enough for them to eat.

Obviously that is not an exhaustive list but just a list to get some ideas for ya!

PlasmoticOdysse

e_watson09 and cdwag29 i was thinking about getting 4-6 otos and regularly feeding them softend cucumber as i heard it is good for them but if I use algae wafers (which i still have a whole bag still) would that suffice for them?
I have been really thinking about the dwarf honey gourami a lot and as well as the german blue ram but as I stated previously i do not want then to go ar it and kill each other in the tank. But as I saw I would take keeping both in the same tank would be hard due to temperature diffrences, am I correct on that statement?
Also last question; so sorry for asking so many question and so long on responses i work quite a bit and am really getting into the hobby and want to do everything right, what do you guys think about swordtails in the tank with a honey gourami?

e_watson09

e_watson09 and cdwag29 i was thinking about getting 4-6 otos and regularly feeding them softend cucumber as i heard it is good for them but if I use algae wafers (which i still have a whole bag still) would that suffice for them?
I have been really thinking about the dwarf honey gourami a lot and as well as the german blue ram but as I stated previously i do not want then to go ar it and kill each other in the tank. But as I saw I would take keeping both in the same tank would be hard due to temperature diffrences, am I correct on that statement?
Also last question; so sorry for asking so many question and so long on responses i work quite a bit and am really getting into the hobby and want to do everything right, what do you guys think about swordtails in the tank with a honey gourami?
Unfortunately no, otos are almost exclusively wild caught (not all but almost all) and generally do not take commercial diets well. Mine never really munched too much on cucumber or anything like that even. They need to be in larger groups (generally around 10 is recommended minimum) and there simply will not be enough for them to eat. I have seen people growing their own algae for them but that's a lot of extra work and space you'd need in addition to your tank.

cdwag29

Honey gouramis are not dwarf gouramis, they are a different species in the same family. They are smaller than dwarfs and are typically much more peaceful and shy. A pair of GBR would likely not go well with a honey, and a singular could end up bullying it as well. Asides from that, the temperature difference is pushing it. GBR need higher temperatures to thrive, which to a certian extent is too warm for a honey (and swordtails.) I believe you can have the honey with swordtails. Just make sure you have enough hiding spots and a proper group of swordtails; I’ve heard of them bugging other fish when kept alone.

There is no shame in asking questions and theres nothing annoying about it; thats what this forum is for.

Fishyfishyfishman

I have even heard 84+ for GBRs. Not compatiable with most fish.

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Top Bottom