Question About Sponge Filters

Pat93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have one in my 29 gallon but I would like to point both of the sponges down so as to hide them behind the plant. I know it’s an oddly specific/picky question but will this affect the spongfilter’s effectiveness in any way? From what I understand about how they work if anything it would potentially increase suction, or have no effect at all.
Picture attached but taken at night before the moonlight is shut off.

Lajos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes, it shouldn't affect the sponge's flow rate. The flow rate is dependant upon your air pump's power/flow rate.
Sponge filter is like an "Internal filter". You can position the outflow to any direction.
Just make sure that the sponge filter is not surrounded by too many decors. Else the decors may obstruct the water from getting to your sponge filter and defeat the purpose of having a sponge filter.

By the way, having the sponge filter pointing upward is more useful as it pushes the air to the top to create gases/air exchange at the surface of the water. If you point it downward, it won't be able to push the gases in the water to the surface.

I like "powerful" internal filter by Aquael or Eheim that create more water movement in the tank to prevent dead spot and ensure that the whole tank water is properly filtered.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Where you put it will affect your tank filtration but not it. You need to make sure you dont have any dead spots in your water circulation.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom