Question About Sparkling Gourami Aggression and Care

Megaanemp

Hello,

I have quite a few questions, I’d appreciate it so much if someone with experience would be willing to advise me

I am setting up a 29 gallon community tank. The tank has the same footprint as a 20 long but its a taller tank. How many Sparkling gourami do you think I can reasonably keep considering my other stock? I understand that males can be aggressive to one another to varying degrees. How much aggression should I expect? Is aggression heightened during spawning or is it always present? By aggression what do people mean, is it more like some harmless chasing and occasional nipping? Or is it likely I’ll have to remove some individuals? I do have a 20 long that I could potential add some too if anyone needed removed from the 29 gallon. Currently the tank has an aquaclear 50 with a baffle and I think I’ll add my aquaclear 30 with a baffle. I’ll probably eventually upgrade to a canister but I want to see how my current equipment can handle the set up. I have an aquaclear 50 on my 20 long with the same baffle set up as the 29 gallon and my ember tetras don’t hide from the flow and arnt blown around so I assume this would work ok for the sparkling gourami in the 29 gallon. I can always build a new baffle if the current one is still allowing for too much turbulence. What do you think?

Heres the planned stock for the 29 gallon:

- 2x Bolivian Rams
- 10x Kuhli Loaches
- ~12x neon tetras
- plus some number of sparkling gourami

CrackerboxPalace

hey, in my experience sparkling gourami tend to be quite timid. Mine haven’t spawned yet but I see the occasional chase or nip. Just keep the water very clean to avoid infections from nips and you’ll probably be fine. they’re very small so you could get away with 5 or 6 id say. make sure your tank is heavily planted and has low flow!

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

hey, in my experience sparkling gourami tend to be quite timid. Mine haven’t spawned yet but I see the occasional chase or nip. Just keep the water very clean to avoid infections from nips and you’ll probably be fine. they’re very small so you could get away with 5 or 6 id say. make sure your tank is heavily planted and has low flow!
Thanks for the reply!

Out of curiosity how many do you have and how large is your tank?

I’ll be sure to keep the water extra clean.

I think I’ll wait to add them last so by the time everyone else has been quarantined, added to the tank and the Gouramis have finished quarantining the plants will have had a while to fill in the tank a bit more. I’m also planning on using these neat very tall bits of driftwood I found, they have a lot of branches and I’m planing on attaching plants all over including near the top, so hopefully this adds a good amount of cover. I’ll also be adding a bunch of floating plants.

I’ll adjust the flow if necessary, I think it’ll be ok, Id feel totally comfortable putting honey Gouramis in with the current flow, but I think I can work something out if the sparkling gourami are more delicate.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
Replies
Views
Basil
  • Question
Replies
Views