Question about snails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerLovesFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello all... my snail seems to be doing better (knock on wood). Today while doing a water change and moving the filter, he actually started to climb on me, and stuck to my finger, I had to wait a few minutes before he finally went back on the glass.

I was just wondering if this is bad or okay? I mean it was pretty awesome having him climb on me, but I don't want to hurt him!

Also, I was just wondering what you guys think of hand feeding fish? Good or bad?

Nikita

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've had a snail on me once, but as far as I know you shouldn't hurt them by them just climbing on you.

I've never tried hand feeding but I'm sure someone on here can help out. I think it would be cool to hand feed fish, it's not bad at all.

TylerLovesFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've had a snail on me once, but as far as I know you shouldn't hurt them by them just climbing on you.

I've never tried hand feeding but I'm sure someone on here can help out. I think it would be cool to hand feed fish, it's not bad at all.
I've heard of people even taking the snail out of water and holding it, but I am sure that is a very bad idea...

Don't get me wrong, it would be cool, but also possibly deadly to the snail.

Nikita

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah don't purposely pull out the snail from the tank just to hold. It's different when it accidentally crawls on you.

slimeneo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't think it's deadly for the snail, they can keep some water in their gills for a short period of time so they don't die when out of the water.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Today while doing a water change and moving the filter, he actually started to climb on me, and stuck to my finger, I had to wait a few minutes before he finally went back on the glass.
They do that just before they bite you! The snail must have changed it's mind. Lucky you

AlanGreene

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do not have a snail, might have to get one now!

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I love my snails and their snail antics I was at my LFS last night and saw one I hadn't seen before but have no tank space at the moment they looked a bit like a Malaysian trumpet snail but grew to 6cm and the shell was really really pointy they were so pretty but had to be sensible well until my big tank is set up lol

cichlidman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love my snails and their snail antics I was at my LFS last night and saw one I hadn't seen before but have no tank space at the moment they looked a bit like a Malaysian trumpet snail but grew to 6cm and the shell was really really pointy they were so pretty but had to be sensible well until my big tank is set up lol
was it a rabbit snail? anyway back to the post . No snails don't bite they have a raspy mouth made for gripping. Even if they could it would not hurt

Last edited:

antidevil12

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
was it a rabbit snail? anyway back to the post . No snails don't bite they have a raspy mouth made for gripping. Even if they could it would not hurt
Only Conus Snail bites and it may kill human coz conus snail are poisonous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom