question about sizes

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I know people keep saying get a bigger tank for this or that, I was always under the impression that fish grew to their envirnment is this not true? I know dumb question but i've been wondering about that for some time now

thanx

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Some fish are stunted by the tank they are kept in if it's too Small. I have seen Pacu and Oscars that were so big they couldn't turn around in their tanks. So If we take care of our fish as we should I guess the answer would be no they don't grow to accomadate their environment. We provide the environment they need so they can reach their normal size comfortabley and happily.
Carol

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think I read an article on this once...it said that while the size of the tank has nothing to do with a fish's growth, often in too small of a tank the nitrates will build up to the point where they actually stunt growth.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
so u actually stunt their growth by poisoning then that is interesting do u know where u found that article?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
inari said:
so u actually stunt their growth by poisoning then that is interesting do u know where u found that article?
Yes, that can happen if the tank is too small. Sorry, no clue where I read that.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
its cool i was jw if maybe they had some other facts on there that might be interesting thanx

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom