Question About Seeding And Cycling New Tank

AlekN

Reaction score
So I have set up my 2nd tank being a 55g and I used media from my 10g to seed the filter by squeezing the sponge and putting a piece into the filter. The tank is I would say not quite heavily planted but close to heavily planted. I added fritz zyme 7 to the water to help speed up the cycle. I read that adding the fritz zyme allows for immediate introduction (Is this true)? and have read that seeding the filter allows for fish to be introduced immediately but have also read that you should wait a few days to weeks. I have also read that if you see plant growth, then it is safe to add fish because the plants are naturally filtering the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. I do see new plant growth and yet I test the water and get about .25 ppm ammonia and .50 ppm nitrite and 5.0 ppm of nitrates. Everywhere I read people say when they cycle with plants they don't get any readings in ammonia, nitrites and nitrates because the plants use it to for new growth and are able to introduce fish immediately. I have many stem plants like amazon swords and rotala magenta, scarlet temple, pogostemon octopus, and vallisneria that are growing but I am getting these readings. Am I missing something here? Is it safe to add some fish or should I wait until readings show a completed cycle. It has been a week since I first seeded the filter, added plants and fritz zyme. Also this is my first time and post on fishlore it seems like a great and helpful community I hope someone can help shed some light on my ignorance!

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You need an ammonia source for the bb to survive and multiply. So if you don’t add fish right away you need to add ammonia. Have you tested your tap water to see what the parameters are for it?

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't add fish until it's cycled. No product will instantly cycle the tank they just speed things up. Are you feeding the bacteria? If you add ammonia to bring the ammonia reading to 2.0 then leave it 24 hours and test if the tank is cycled you should have 0 nitrites and ammonia and some nitrates. Then you are ready for fish. The plants will eat some of the nitrates so this will be lower than a bare tank. Plants will not remove ammonia or nitrites. The beneficial bacteria need food to grow and cycle the best food is a few drops of pure ammonia but some just add fish food and let it break down but this is slower

AlekN

Reaction score
You need an ammonia source for the bb to survive and multiply. So if you don’t add fish right away you need to add ammonia. Have you tested your tap water to see what the parameters are for it?
Yes my tap water reads 0 for ammonia and nitrite. I added some fish food for the first few days.

Don't add fish until it's cycled. No product will instantly cycle the tank they just speed things up. Are you feeding the bacteria? If you add ammonia to bring the ammonia reading to 2.0 then leave it 24 hours and test if the tank is cycled you should have 0 nitrites and ammonia and some nitrates. Then you are ready for fish. The plants will eat some of the nitrates so this will be lower than a bare tank. Plants will not remove ammonia or nitrites. The beneficial bacteria need food to grow and cycle the best food is a few drops of pure ammonia but some just add fish food and let it break down but this is slower
I see. I added some fish food during the first few days but I was unsure how much. Should I continue doing so or is it easier to add pure ammonia for the sake of accurate measurements and readings?

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you have ammonia use it if not just keep going with fish food. If you need to buy ammonia you don't need to pay fish shop prices ( some charge pounds for a little bottle) just go to a hardware shop and buy a bottle of basic ammonia . Just make sure it's just ammonia without scents or other additives. It only takes a few drops.

AlekN

Reaction score
If you have ammonia use it if not just keep going with fish food. If you need to buy ammonia you don't need to pay fish shop prices ( some charge pounds for a little bottle) just go to a hardware shop and buy a bottle of basic ammonia . Just make sure it's just ammonia without scents or other additives. It only takes a few drops.
Okay thank you for the help and advice I appreciate it very much.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@AlekN , welcome to the forum.

I have always thought of bacteria in a bottle products are more of a way to jump start the cycle going, instead of giving an instant cycle.

The beneficial bacteria introduced to the tank needs to circulate and find its way to the substrate and the filter media, where it can colonize and multiply.

What type of filter do you have on your 55g ?

Sources of pure ammonia....

-Ace Hardware Pure Ammonia Cleaner

-Dr. Tim's Aquatic Ammonia

RockinRy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I highly recommend pure ammonia over fish food. I’ve cycled with both and pure ammonia so much more exact and cleaner. I found the rotting fish food was pretty gross after a few weeks of being in there. Just my opinion though, either works great but to me the ammonia is well worth the few dollars to buy it.

AlekN

Reaction score
@AlekN , welcome to the forum.

I have always thought of bacteria in a bottle products are more of a way to jump start the cycle going, instead of giving an instant cycle.

The beneficial bacteria introduced to the tank needs to circulate and find its way to the substrate and the filter media, where it can colonize and multiply.

What type of filter do you have on your 55g ?

Sources of pure ammonia....

-Ace Hardware Pure Ammonia Cleaner

-Dr. Tim's Aquatic Ammonia
I figured bottled bacteria doesn't instantly cycle but jump starts it like you said. I have a hang on the back aquaclear 70.

I highly recommend pure ammonia over fish food. I’ve cycled with both and pure ammonia so much more exact and cleaner. I found the rotting fish food was pretty gross after a few weeks of being in there. Just my opinion though, either works great but to me the ammonia is well worth the few dollars to buy it.
Pure ammonia seems the way to go, I will definitely be going with pure ammonia.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom