Question About Seachem Prime

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by Cheyennemm, Apr 19, 2018.

1. CheyennemmNew MemberMember

I just started using prime to help with the ammonia and nitrite levels and am curious when I should add it. First is it correct that u dose it once every 24 hours? Also it says better to add to new water, I always let my new water sit overnight to get room temp so would I add the prime right before I put the water in or when I fill the refill bucket up? I’m confused since it only works for 24 hours wouldn’t that mean the next day it wouldnt really be helping anymore ? I use the prime as my dechlorinater also

Note to add I have a new tank and am doing a fish in cycle with 1 goldfish

2. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

For the bucket water, it doesn't matter. As long as you aren't using tss+ which requires 24 wait after using prime.
    Normally, you would only dose Prime on new water, but when doing a fish-IN cycle, prime will temporarily detox ammonia and nitrites for the fish which is why you dose daily until your tank is cycled. You need need to do water changes to keep even those levels down to a combined 1ppm.

3. YesI'mCycledNew MemberMember

Agree with TexasGuppy
    Daily test ammonia and nitrite level. If sum of ammonia and nitrite > 0 than dose tank with prime. If > 1 than do a water change.

Always treat your change water as you don’t want to risk putting chlorinated water in the tank (realise you are letting your replacement water sit overnight) this would set your cycle back.

In an emergency you can dose the tank 5 times the base level to detoxify ammonia and nitrite levels. That said if you need to use this water change ASAP.

4. jaymethyValued MemberMember

What size tank?

5. OP
    OP
    C

CheyennemmNew MemberMember

I’ve been treating the water with the prime because it says it makes the tap water safe although I only have a small tank so it feels like I only put a few drops of prime in and hopefully that’s enough

What would set my cycle back? Sorry just a little confused

7 gallon tank

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018
  6. jaymethyValued MemberMember

The prime will not set your cycle back, but you should only be dosing with it if you have any level of ammonia or nitrates. I wouldn't use it unnecessarily.

Any goldfish is much too large for a 7 gallon tank (no matter how small the fish appears to be). I would return him, do a fishless cycle and buy a betta and a couple snails or a couple male guppies.

7. bitseriously

bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

@jaymethy do you mean "you should only be dosing the entire tank if you have any level of ammonia or nitrites"? I just want to be clear for OP that untreated tap water should never go into your tank (as written above by @YesI'mCycled). In other words, depending on the situation, you can treat the new water with prime, or treat the entire tank with prime, but NEVER add tap water that has not been treated.

8. jaymethyValued MemberMember

That is correct. You need to treat tapwater. I wasn't clear.
    I interpretted that OP was adding prime daily (without new water) as a way of managing ammonia without knowing what levels were present. And in that case it would seem excessive.
    But yes, all new tap water needs to be treated with prime or a different dechlorinator!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice