Question About Sand In Saltwater Tank

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am starting my first salty and doing my research my question is can I use pool filter sand for a salt water tank. Before anyone goes off on me I am planning on doing a full fishless cycle on the tank befor I add anything to it lol.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, I wouldn't use pool filter sand in a SW.
Instead, try and find an aragonite based sand. Aragonite sands will help buffer the water, helping to keep the water pH and alkalinity more stable. It also tends to contain less silicates than PFS, and is better longer term.

NickAu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi
Please excuse me for hijacking the thread a bit but Im also thinking of starting a smallSW tank and was wondering would ocean sand be better?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NickAu said:
Hi
Please excuse me for hijacking the thread a bit but Im also thinking of starting a smallSW tank and was wondering would ocean sand be better?
There's a lot of debate about the effectiveness/benefit of using ocean sand. Many believe that any benefit is lost during harvest and transport. The microbes that are present in the sand are (mostly) anaerobic, and by exposing the sand to air, the microbes perish, thus the primary benefit of the sand is lost.
Basically, you end up paying a fortune for what is essentially wet sand.

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ryanr said:
Hi, I wouldn't use pool filter sand in a SW.
Instead, try and find an aragonite based sand. Aragonite sands will help buffer the water, helping to keep the water pH and alkalinity more stable. It also tends to contain less silicates than PFS, and is better longer term.
Thx I will use aragonite based sand how much should would be good I’m doing a 29gal Fowler to start with maybe corals in the future.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
grump299 said:
Thx I will use aragonite based sand how much should would be good I’m doing a 29gal Fowler to start with maybe corals in the future.
Depends how deep you want your sandbed. I'd probably want 2-3 inches, which would be a good base, however if you were going to stock sand-sifters, then you might want to go deeper.
Just figure out the volume you need, then find bags to suit.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would say 2-3 inches is great for anything but a jawfish. As for the ocean sand I wouldn't simply because you don't know what kind of pollutants are in it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom