Question about sailfins

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a pair of sailfins that I'm paranoid about (largely because I've been losing kuhlis).
First of all, I can't tell if they're clamping their fins or not. When I see them, their sails are usually down and their tails seem fairly narrow (vertically, if that makes sense, like the tail fin isn't fully unfurled), but at the same time, the pair of fins along the sides are fully extended. They also move around plenty.

Second of all, I have yet to get them to eat anything I provide. I've tried zucchini and lettuce, both quickly boiled. My tank does have tons of algae in it, so I'm hoping that they're eating something. However, when they're on the glass, I never see their tongue working at the algae. I plan to feed them a bit of fresh fish tonight, to see if that will entice them.

In particular, I'm wondering if anyone with experience with these plecos could tell me if the first part is normal. I don't know if they normally sit around with their sails unfurled, or if they only do it sometimes.
However, I'd love other ideas on feeding, too. Planetcatfish suggests frozen spinach, but how the heck do you feed a tank frozen spinach without seriously mucking the tank up?

Last edited:

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My Bristlenose pleco sometimes tucks it's sailfin down. It does it mostly if it is hanging in a cave of with water flow of my filter or powerhead.

She will not eat unless the tank light is turned off either. Not sure why, but I've read that plecos are nocturnal.

OP
sirdarksol

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've been feeding overnight. There's been absolutely no signs of nibbling at the veggies at all.
By the way, don't ever leave zucchini in a tank for more than 8 hours or so... the seeds break open and you get little white squiggles all over your tank that make you think that you had a sudden burst of planaria growth overnight.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SDS do you have any wood in the tank? My Sailfin loves his wood but he also loves zuchinni. I buy really small zuchinni so the seeds are almost non existant so they aren't a problem. I cut the zuchinni long ways and he lays on it and eats. He only spreads his sail fin occasionally when hes resting or when he thinks I'm not looking.
carol

OP
sirdarksol

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Okay, that makes me feel a little better.
I have two pieces of Malaysian driftwood in the tank, and both of them will periodically light on it, I presume getting their roughage from it.
Maybe I'll try cutting a strip from the edge of the zucchini and see if that works. Do you put it on the floor of the tank, then?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, that makes me feel a little better.
I have two pieces of Malaysian driftwood in the tank, and both of them will periodically light on it, I presume getting their roughage from it.
Maybe I'll try cutting a strip from the edge of the zucchini and see if that works. Do you put it on the floor of the tank, then?
I stick a spoon handle in it to hold it down and lay it on the bottom of the tank.
Plecos get Lignan from wood. It helps them digest their food.
How do their stomachs look? If they aren't getting enough to eat their stomach will be sunken. they are masters at finding enough to eat.
Carol

OP
sirdarksol

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Can't often see their stomachs. They like the back of the tank, the top, bottom, and back of the filter, and one of them seems to love the larger crypt leaves. I've only twice seen them on the front or sides of the tanks. I didn't notice anything odd about them.
The store I got them from doesn't feed their fish any whole veggies. I wonder if they're just used to picking up uneaten food to supplement their algae (of which there is no shortage in my tank, by the way).
One more question: How long is the longest you've left zucchini in your tank?

Last edited:

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I put it in at night and take it out the next morning if there's any left which is rare.
If their not used to eating veggies it may take a couple of feedings for them to get the idea that it's food.
The longest I leave veggies in is 24 hours but I do a water change if I do that.
carol

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My sailfin likes to hide as well. He has driftwood in his tank and I also give him zucchini, but he's never shown interest in either, unless he does it when I'm not around. The zucchini never gets touched.

He doesn't "spread his sailfin" much, either.

I hope this helps.

OP
sirdarksol

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It does. Because I'm having issues with the kuhlis, I was worried that there was something I was missing, but it seems that these two are acting just like they're supposed to. Neither is showing any sign of illness, so I'm going to hope that they're doing okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 63 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.8%

Top Bottom