Question about resealed tank

outflying

Reaction score
Hello all,

I came across a 125 that had a leak. I stripped all of the silicone from the base, found the leaky spot and resealed. Right now I'm 24 hours into a successful leak test.

How long should I leave this tank outside with water in it?

If it holds water from the start is the leak fixed?

or

Could it start seaping out after a few days?

Thanks?

Luniyn

Well Known
Reaction score
Better safe then sorry when it comes to 125 Gal of water. I would give it 3 days to be sure considering the mess it would make if it failed.

OP
O

outflying

Reaction score
So do you really think that if I make it three days with no leaks I'll be good to go???  The guy at the LFS really advised AGAINST using a resealed tank.  He wasn't trying to push one of his tanks on me.  He gave me some ideas in town where to get the best deals.  He seemed very sincere.

griffin

Well Known
Reaction score
I think it kinda depends on how well you sealed it i've had tanks that i've sealed and no prob, and i've also had ones that woudl start leaking again after a few months. the one that kept leaking after a few months is now a greenhouse

hope yours seals and stays that way

Luniyn

Well Known
Reaction score
It's always a risk, but then again it's just as risky to use a tank sealed at the factory. Mistakes happen even in quality control. If you are worried then reinforce the top and bottom edge with a tight fitting wooden frame. It won't stop leaks from happening, but it will help with the stress of the water pushing against the panes of glass. Also if you do get a leak it will help it from rupturing before you can get a handle on it. In the end it's up to you, but you wouldn't have bothered to seal the tank in the first place if you weren't willing to take a chance on it . Good Luck with whatever you decide.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd agree with Luniyn. You can recheck your seal, reinforce it and really you'd be taking not much more chances than a new tank.

New Threads