How Do I Question About Pre Filter Sponge On Hob Filter

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I kind of have an issue with these because it seems kind of weird to collect food and other while still inside the tank, also I starts to look like this.IMG_20190420_170415.jpg

dumb question maybe. but is this the normal way to use it? its a bit unsightly witth food and whatnot on the sponge and also aound the exposed part of the intake is just a ring of food around it . I'm not sure what to think, thank you in advance for your input

Giul

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That’s how I use mine, I just wring it out in dirty tank water after my water change to clean it

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Giul said:
That’s how I use mine, I just wring it out in dirty tank water after my water change to clean it
oh okay cool. ill just do that, I guess itt gives them a snack too if they missed the food rush

ForceTen

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Whats the actual purpose? Less filter cleaning? I agree its unsightly and I see little if any benefit.
But I am kinda new to this so....

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ForceTen said:
Whats the actual purpose? Less filter cleaning? I agree its unsightly and I see little if any benefit.
But I am kinda new to this so....
the only benefit I'm familiar witht is more bacteria and my fish don't get stuck to the intake

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't use em personally but they are a good way to keep fish from being stuck to the intake helps keep fish and shrimp fry from getting sucked into the filter adds a food source adds a media source reduces filter flow . The short time I did use one they got messy quick. The main thing I learned was when your ready to remove it for a cleaning put a net under your intake then push it off slowly with tweezers or a skewer n let it drop into the net then have your tank water bucket ready to catch it once u reach the surface of the tank so you don't lose a lot of the "stuff" back into your tank.

Giul

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, it’s for it’s for beneficial bacteria but I use it so my shrimplets don’t get sucked into my filter

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Giul said:
Yes, it’s for it’s for beneficial bacteria but I use it so my shrimplets don’t get sucked into my filter
"shrimplets" ^_^

imba

Well Known
Reaction score
I have shrimps in all my tanks, so I use them. The shrimp will normally feed on the food caught on the sponge.

I clean it every time I do a water change.

Just off the filter when u feed. Should lessen the chances of food getting stuck on it.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A trick I use when I remove them to clean the sponges, is to slip a gallon sized ziploc bag around the sponge then pull it off while it's inside the ziploc.

Greatly reduces any of the muck and uneaten food from dislodging and floating around the tank.

Nick72

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It also prevents background plants like Vals from blocking the intake, by physically holding them back from the intake vents.

New Threads