Question about planted tanks

LemonKitti

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello,
This is probably a totally Noob question but here goes!
I am thinking about trying my hand at a planted tank. Right now I have 2 aquariums with fake plants. I really like the look of a live tank, but am unsure about how to go about it. My main concern is how will you clean it. In a planted tank do you not need to clean it as with fake plants? Or if you slean it do you just try not to disturb the plants? Or take them up totally? Do you use different substrate? I do not know anyone who has one to ask for advise. Maybe I am just way out of my league here tho.
Thanks

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!
Hope you don't mind, I moved your question into the plants section of the forum.
Several members have planted tanks and will be able to help.

Good luck!

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fishlore! I'm still pretty new at live plants myself, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly that can answer your questions.

LemonKitti

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't mind at all. I was actually on the members pictures section and saw some really nicely planted tanks and hit post there. I didn't realize it would post there till it was too late!
I didn't know how to move it so thanks for doing it for me!

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
live plants can be very easy. also you could go technical and have show plantings.

My 55 gallon has gravel and sand mixed approx 1 to 2 inches deep. I do nothing extra except an occasional dose of liguid fertilizer when I think of it!! (not often)

I am growing Guppy grass, Water sprite, Micro swords, amazon swords and anubias. The set back is...my amazon swords never get too tall...but grow well at up to 10- 12 inches.

There are several directions to go in starting plants. I started simple and still am pleased.

To start out, if you have a commercial tank set up...get low to medium light plants and just give it a try. Don't buy too many plants at first and see what works for you. That's all I have done and am very happy with my tank.

If you want to go super cool plant raising, then consider plant substrates, special lighting and CO2. There are others on here more experienced and will be able to assist you in delux planting. It is worth it for the beauty, but comes at a higher budget.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore

Establishing how much light you have over the tank is the most important thing. Then choosing plants that are able to grow under the amount of light you have will make life much easier. Pretty much any substrate can have plants grown in it but some do work better than others. There are specific planted aquarium substrates that are fantastic but do cost more for that performance. Ordinary aquarium gravel with a small diameter (less than 0.25") is very useable as is sand. Sand does require a little more maintenance though & isn't my favourite choice. Never remove your plants to clean the gravel. Try to disturb the plants roots as little as possible. In a planted aquarium it is normal practice to only vacuum the surface 0.5" of the gravel every week or two.

There is plenty of information on setting up & maintaining a planted aquarium to be found on the web & there are several members of this forum that can provide you with excellent advice as well. Having a well planned planted aquarium is very rewarding for both the aquarist & the fish so is well worth the extra little bit of study.

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore LemonKitti

kefman86

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ive been slowly experiment with a planted tank for a couple of years now as i too got sick of looking at fake. Start off with some relatively easy plants to begin with like anubias, spiralis, java.

Many of these are low light species. I tend to use undergravel fertilizer balls for mine as i find it doesn't create a algae bloom and helps encourage the plants to root faster and then start growing. These tend to last for a year without replacing.

I have also used alternanthera rosaefolia in mine to break the green and give the tank a nice centrpiece plant. beautiful red leaves that slowly turn green as they grow larger.

Also here's a link of a good plant site.
My LFS gets their stock from them and they tell you what each plants temp range is and whether they like a low light or high light and their eventual size

snail_chen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LemonKitti said:
Hello,
This is probably a totally Noob question but here goes!
I am thinking about trying my hand at a planted tank. Right now I have 2 aquariums with fake plants. I really like the look of a live tank, but am unsure about how to go about it. My main concern is how will you clean it. In a planted tank do you not need to clean it as with fake plants? Or if you slean it do you just try not to disturb the plants? Or take them up totally? Do you use different substrate? I do not know anyone who has one to ask for advise. Maybe I am just way out of my league here tho.
Thanks
The good news is that with live plant, once well maintained, you don't need to clean it at all. I even don't change my water for over half a year and my water quality is superb, and plants grow like weed. DO NOT DISTURB your plant unless they grow too tall and you want to replant the top cuttings.

snail_chen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have collected more than 80 different aquatic plants in my fish tanks. I will be glad to help you.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads