Question about planted tanks and aquaponics

teep

I am thinking about incorporating a small aquaponic system with my new 20-gallon tank. I want to have live plants in the tank for my fish, but I'm not sure if the aquatic plants will take too many nutrients from the plants in the aquaponics setup. Does anyone here have any experience with this? How do you fertilize the aquatic plants? I am new to planted tanks and aquaponics and just wanted to see if people here have tried it out. Thanks!

Mudminnow

Are you saying that you are planning to create some kind of external plant filter when you say aquaponics? And, if so, are you saying you are planning to do this and grow plants in the aquarium at the same time?

Upvote 0

teep

Are you saying that you are planning to create some kind of external plant filter when you say aquaponics? And, if so, are you saying you are planning to do this and grow plants in the aquarium at the same time?
Yes. I am working on designing something where the filter pumps the water through a planter with the hydroponic clay balls and then drains back into the tank. Ideally, I would like to have live plants growing in the tank too. The filter would remove any solids that have not been broken down and could increase the likelihood of root rot for the plants out of the tank.
Edit: So there would be a traditional filter and the aquaponic planter set up

Upvote 0

Beermann

Old thread but I wanted to pop in and see how it went. I am doing the exact same thing

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sweetsammi
Replies
Views
Chanyi
Replies
Views
Hepting_3000
Replies