Question About New Betta

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
As some of you may know, I purchased my new Betta, Shimmer, a few days ago. I can tell he’s a goofy little guy and already a picky eater. My question is, is it normal for them to kinda clamp and unclamp their fins? And he swims like a crazy little fishy sometimes, going back and forth in a plant, up and down against the tank wall. Is that normal?

Yes, he has a carbon filter and heater. There is no current ammonia in my tank or nitrites. I use stability and prime each day.

I figured he could still be adjusting to his new home. Because he went from a fish bowl in the store, to a baggie taking him home, then to a temporary tank, then the main tank.

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mine do flatten their fins and then suddenly spread them back out, is that what you’re referring to? And they were definitely a little wild when I first introduced them to their big new tank (after living in a cup for who knows how long). That all sounds like fairly normal behavior to me, sometimes bettas are just a little crazy!

sleow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
As long as he's unclamping his fins regularly, it doesn't sound too concerning. If his fins stay clamped for a while, he's most likely stressed from something, then you need to go into investigator mode to figure out what (water temp, levels, or cleanliness, or other environmental stressors).

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
InsanityShard said:
Why do you use conditioners every day? They should only be used when changing the water to remove things like chlorine.
I use stability for 7 days as directed to help establish good bacteria in my tank. And prime protects my fish from any possible ammonia for 24-48 hours. So far it’s doing pretty good

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sleow said:
As long as he's unclamping his fins regularly, it doesn't sound too concerning. If his fins stay clamped for a while, he's most likely stressed from something, then you need to go into investigator mode to figure out what (water temp, levels, or cleanliness, or other environmental stressors).
Yes, he unclamps regularly. I’m assuming he’s stressed from all the moving! I mean, I would be too, lol.

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LilBlub said:
Mine do flatten their fins and then suddenly spread them back out, is that what you’re referring to? And they were definitely a little wild when I first introduced them to their big new tank (after living in a cup for who knows how long). That all sounds like fairly normal behavior to me, sometimes bettas are just a little crazy!
Good to know! He seems to flatten them for a bit, then flare back out. Right now it seems he’s sleeping behind my filter.

sleow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nightshadethebetta said:
Yes, he unclamps regularly. I’m assuming he’s stressed from all the moving! I mean, I would be too, lol.
No kidding. The poor fishes go through a lot when we move them from tank to tank! I always tell mine "it's for your own good!!" repeatedly during the process .

I am also a big fan of the seachem products. I always use them in new tanks!

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
One of my guys hangs out by the filter, too! Lol. Maybe it’s because it’s out of the current? Or maybe they just like big things to hide behind.

Frostu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As a lot of people are saying, he is probably fine. Personally, mine do/did the same thing, and are perfectly fine. 'clamping' their fins usually just happens when they swim, or are relaxed. No reason to show off if there's no mate or competition around, right? As for the swimming up and down/side to side in a frantic/frisky motion, sometimes you just get the crazy one of the bunch. If that's not the case, they can: Be confused and trying to figure out why they are trapped and where, trying to figure out their boundaries and space, investigate the confusing and new place, curious as to what you are doing, or just feel bored. Both of mine are goofnuts when it comes to feeding, and beg like the little tramps they are. So that might also be the reason, begging for his next meal. Personally i see no reason to panic or get scared/confused (I did it too, though so i can sympathize :rolleyes. For now, just monitor him, and try not to think too much on it, since it might just be the first stages of 'new home jitters'. Enjoy him!!

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Frostu said:
As a lot of people are saying, he is probably fine. Personally, mine do/did the same thing, and are perfectly fine. 'clamping' their fins usually just happens when they swim, or are relaxed. No reason to show off if there's no mate or competition around, right? As for the swimming up and down/side to side in a frantic/frisky motion, sometimes you just get the crazy one of the bunch. If that's not the case, they can: Be confused and trying to figure out why they are trapped and where, trying to figure out their boundaries and space, investigate the confusing and new place, curious as to what you are doing, or just feel bored. Both of mine are goofnuts when it comes to feeding, and beg like the little tramps they are. So that might also be the reason, begging for his next meal. Personally i see no reason to panic or get scared/confused (I did it too, though so i can sympathize :rolleyes. For now, just monitor him, and try not to think too much on it, since it might just be the first stages of 'new home jitters'. Enjoy him!!
Thanks for your response! I realize now that he’s just a crazy little goofball haha. He’s always so happy to see me. I like to keep a good guy on him and make sure he’s always healthy I’ll know if something isn’t right if he’s not being crazy!

Frostu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nightshadethebetta said:
Thanks for your response! I realize now that he’s just a crazy little goofball haha. He’s always so happy to see me. I like to keep a good guy on him and make sure he’s always healthy I’ll know if something isn’t right if he’s not being crazy!
Sure! I can completely understand the stress about new fish, for sure. So yeah, just watch him like a hawk and you should be perfectly fine! :smuggrin: I wish you luck with your new little man! They can be extremely entertaining to watch

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom