question about Nature's Ocean black sand

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by midthought, Mar 22, 2010.

1. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

I'm tempted to pick up a couple bags of this sand ( ), but I have three questions:

1. Is it really okay to use in freshwater? My understanding is that this is reef/beach sand and meant to help cycle tanks (I presume saltwater tanks).
    2. Will it in fact not affect my pH? I'm concerned because, in short, beach sand -> coral -> higher pH.
    3. Is that really sand sand? The close up picture looks like gravel.

I want inert sand for (freshwater) cory cats to play in...life seems so simple until Craigslist shows up, making me all weary.

2. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

Looks like a good deal to me ..it does look like very fine gravel to me. so it would be great for your Cory cats.. you could see if they have it at your LFS and check it out..

3. OP
    OP
    midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

My main concern was that I had no time to go to the LFS to look at it this week, at least before I leave town Thursday-Tuesday. So I emailed the guy to see if I could come see it Thursday morning or the following week...

Also, it doesn't look like it's actually Nature's Ocean reef sand, but rather Aqua Terra...but the blurb he put up on Craigslist is exactly the same as the one on  . Hopefully that means it's sand and not the fine gravel in the picture. I have enough black gravel!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice