Question about medication??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hendryx, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Hendryx

Hendryx Valued Member Member

Just a quick question, something I was wondering about..

When treating an aquarium and fish for a bacterial or fungal infection does the medication used also kill the good bacteria we have built up in our tanks and filtration systems???

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

unfortunately, most meds will kill off some bacteria :(
    but a mini cycle is something that can recover faster than starting completely new....

3. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I think that's a large part of why people prefer hospital/quarantine tanks to treat only the sick fish. Also, it is why many people try to avoid medications and look for more natural remedies (clean tank, well-varied diet, garlic, StressCoat+, etc.)

4. OP
    OP
    Hendryx

The reason I was wondering is, I have a little oranda baby with cotton mouth (came to me that way) she is in my 10gal Q tank and is being treated with API pimafix, it is day 4 of the 7 day treatment and the cottony growths are just about gone, but I was worried about my good bacteria, it took forever to cycle that little tank lol..thanks for the replies.

5. Meenu

you'll prbably have to build the cycle back up in your q tank after you are done with the treatment. I, along with some others here, have tossed around the idea of using Nurtrafin Cycle in a hosp tank that is set up temporarily, then you don't have to worry about keeping an additionsal filter cycled.

6. OP
    OP
    Hendryx

Hmmmm, that just may be a good alternative, it's hard to keep it cycled when the new fishes go to their permanent homes..thanx for the idea.

7. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

even if it doesnt kill it, which it probably will, you need new media after the medication is done...you dont want to use the same stuff again with the medication in it

8. OP
    OP
    Hendryx

good to know..I always cringe at totally changing out media lol..thank goodness it's just the Q tank.

9. Meenu

I say good job having a q tank set up. This is exactly how it is intended to work/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice