Question about media for integrated filter

HenryC

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi guys, so I bought this used acrylic 100 gallon tank for my baby oscar (he will grow there and be his home) and perhaps 2 other medium sized cichlids as tankmates, considering red spot severums, blood parrots, firemouth cichlids or geophagus tapajos.

anyways, the aquarium has a compartment at the back made for integrated filtration, and it comes with these plastic balls media. Do you think this would be a good media for my bio load? I've read oscars are mega messy. Also, how does this media compare to let's say, seachem matrix or regular ceramic rings? Do you think I need to switch to other media or just use this? I've never used any plastic media, though I read somewhere these are better used in sumps? There's quite a bit of media, the capacity of the compartment is very big.

Any suggestions or anyone has experience with similar media?

Here are photos of the media as well as the tank's integrated compartment:

Attachments

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have never personally used them but I saw a kid n youtube make a sweet filter and he had these in one of the chambers with an air stone in there too agitate them and move them around and they definately did the job for some mechanical filtration for sure

OP
HenryC

HenryC

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wrench said:
I have never personally used them but I saw a kid n youtube make a sweet filter and he had these in one of the chambers with an air stone in there too agitate them and move them around and they definately did the job for some mechanical filtration for sure
There's very little info abotu the brand online (SeaClear system 2) but I found this image, and it apparently is a wet/dry fitlration system, so basically the water just drips down onto the bio balls. Huh interesting, never seen something like this lol. It is missing the drip tray, but I guess I can fashion something quite easily.

Attachments

New Threads