Question About Keeping My Cycle

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Racing1113, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Racing1113Well Known MemberMember

I had ADF's in a 10 gallon tank and recently rehomed them and am now turning it into a shrimp tank. The tank has been cycled for 4-5 months. I'm running the ADF filter alongside a sponge filter I just got today so I can have only the sponge filter in for the shrimp. Right now I only have 4 juvenile cherry shrimp in the tank. So I have two questions:

1) Without there really being an ammonia source in there right now, am I even able to seed my sponge filter with just the BB on my original filter? I'm worried since I know shrimp are sensitive and I'd hate to take out the original filter and cause a bunch of issues with wacky parameters

2) If it is possible to get my sponge filter seeded, will the tank stay cycled with just shrimp in the tank? And if so how many shrimp would I need in there to provide enough of an ammonia source?

2. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

If there's no ammonia source in the tank the bacteria in the original cycled filter will die off and the new filter won't be seeded at all. If you have shrimp in the tank they will produce ammonia but not enough to sustain the bacteria at the level they were before. Unless you have a lot of them.

3. OP
    OP
    R

Racing1113Well Known MemberMember

Well shoot. That's what I was afraid of. Is there any way to fix this cycling issue? Eventually I will have a lot of shrimp but not for a month or so probably. I do have fish I could put in the tank but not sure how well they would do in the tank. I see all these posts about people setting up dedicated shrimp tanks but no one mentioning getting/keeping the tank cycled so it never crossed my mind until now.

4. Aquaphobia

Thing is your tank will be cycled with shrimp in it, but it will only sustain as many bacteria as there is food available to feed them. When you add more shrimp just watch for spikes so you can deal with them if they occur.

5. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

If you can get some janitorial grade ammonia you can dose it to your tank in lieu of ammonia producing critters. The ammonia must be free of any detergents. The best way to be sure it is 100% ammonia is to shake the bottle. If no soap bubbles rise then it's good. There are ammonia calculators available online to figure out how much you'd need to use to keep your tank cycled. For shrimp I'd think dosing daily to 1ppm should be fine. Nitrates will rise of course so you'll need to keep up the water changes and make sure they are very low before you add your shrimp.

6. Aquaphobia

Are you sure that dosing ammonia with shrimp in the tank won't hurt them?

7. OP
    OP
    R

Oh ok gotcha. I'm guessing 4 tiny shrimp don't produce much ammonia. I'm getting 6 more this week hopefully but even though probably not too much I assume, so I'm assuming most if not all of the bacteria in the original filter will die off. Is there any point in keeping the original filter in there or should I take it out and just have the sponge filter in there?

8. Aquaphobia

I would keep it in. You might need to baffle the intake to prevent shrimplets being sucked in though depending on the type. It never hurts to have room for more bacteria ;)

9. stella1979

Oh my goodness, I thought the tank was empty of life and you were expecting shrimp. Please ignore my previous comment. My mistake!

10. OP
    OP
    R

Lol no worries! I was waiting for your next comment to decide if I needed to look into getting ammonia or not :)

11. stella1979

Thanks :) I guess I got excited at a new shrimp tank thread to follow and missed a line or two. :rolleyes: I'm reserving an old 10g for what will someday be my first shrimp tank, so I've been following other's in the time being. You probably already saw this but I'll link to a fav. of mine to make up for my earlier mistake. :) On another note, I'd love to see pics of your little bugs. :)

Geoff's Planted Shrimp Tank Build

Geoff's Planted Shrimp Tank - Part Il

12. OP
    OP
    R

Haha trust me I understand the excitement of a shrimp tank! I literally rehomed my frogs just so I could use their tank Thanks for the links! I'll try to get some pics of my little guys - they're so tiny!

13. OP
    OP
    R

Surprisingly they were out and about tonight! This was a VERY hastily thrown together tank (we had pulled out all the decorations/fake plants in the 29 gallon to catch our cories to rehome them and decided we might as well move the shrimp over now instead of having to pull everything out again in a few weeks). Getting 6 more on Friday AND we found a great LFS literally down the street from us that has great stock and cheaper than Petco (who never gets the shrimp in their shipments anyway) and Petsmart doesn't stock them here.

270ee84871fc3e8bd5896606e58df245.jpg

022fedce2dde3a33f72a94de05d11fab.jpg

ed4e484dc68646cf10a402d2ee6dd663.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice