Question about indian almond leaves

dazzbee

Hi everyone

i have indian almond tree in my backyard , i heard the indian almond leaves can be used as a shrimp food.. currently im only feed my shrimp with just hikari crab cuisine pellets i want to add more variety to my shrimp diet which i thinking about getting hikari algae wafer , spirulina powder or the cheaper one indian almond/catappa leaves in my backyard , im bit worried about molting issue if i keep feed them pellets everyday i used to give them blanched spinach but i dont have any time to make those anyomore i dont know if the hikari wafer algae or spirulina powder will be good as a substitute or variety to my shrimp which i heard both have high protein same as pellets.
i never thought about catappa leaves before so i dont know how to properly prepared for my shrimp
i can get fresh leaves on the tree , there are also dried leaves on the ground which one should i pick? the dried leaves on the ground might be bit dirty because sometimes my dog and some kids playing around my tree so im not sure is it safe to use?
should i boil the leaves before puttin n my tank?
do i need to ferment the leaves before putting in my tank?

thanks in advance

MacZ

Only take brown leaves that have fallen from the tree. Green ones have negative effect on your water quality. Just brew them over with boiling water so they sink. Done.

You can and should still feed spinach once in a while (sparsely, same problem with water quality), powdered food and dry foods. Keep up the variety.

Heat20

Indian almond leaves are a favorite for shrimp! They love these leaves they eat the nutrients that form on these leaves and will make your shrimp so happy. (My cherry shrimp will tell you) but the Indian almond leaf can lower ph in your tank so you have to watch that. Start with a half or just 1 and monitor ph for a month they break down in 2-3 weeks. Hope this helps

MacZ

but the Indian almond leaf can lower ph in your tank so you have to watch that.
It's a misconception. The KH has to be very low for the leaves lowering pH significantly.

TClare

Even with a very low KH they don’t seem to have a significant effect on pH in my experience. Maybe if I made a deep leaf litter bed it might have some effect. It’s certainly not anything you have to worry about.

MacZ

You need big amounts of course. A leaf litter bed definitely has the effect.

PAcanis

Even with a very low KH they don’t seem to have a significant effect on pH in my experience.

Mine, too. And my dKH and GH has been 0 for weeks. And I'm running peat.
But I'm expecting the day I check pH and it has suddenly dropped unexpectedly.
Hopefully by then I'll have a test kit that goes below 5.0 and is more precise so I can monitor it and know what's happening.

Heat20

Even with a very low KH they don’t seem to have a significant effect on pH in my experience. Maybe if I made a deep leaf litter bed it might have some effect. It’s certainly not anything you have to worry about.
Good to know ! I did not want to blindly advise someone to put a bunch of IAL and hurt the ph because of confusing litterateur I have read on it .Now I won’t be so scared about them in future. I definitely see benefits in my fish since adding them and I have had a constant ph of 7.4before and after IAL

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Salem
Replies
Views
Dobert
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies