Question About Ich

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Will170, Aug 2, 2017.

1. W

Will170 Valued Member Member

So from what I have read it seems ich can be present in every tank( even in small amounts) and frequent gravel vac/water changes will greatly lower the amount of the present ich.

Do you think as fresh water fish owners we are safer keeping our tanks at the higher end of the acceptable range of temperature? Example: person a keeps their tank at 75. Person B keeps their tank at 79. Since ich doesn't like higher temps are we better off running our tanks at higher temps? I get that with higher temps comes the need for more aeration.

Also since ich reproduces on substrates and decorations are we better off having less decorations? I really enjoy the view of having a few caves and a log and several plants for my fish and their fry to hide(assuming I don't quarantine the prego female in time).

I've been posting quite a bit lately mainly because most of my friends aren't really into the fish hobby or aren't as into it as I am...

2. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Ich dies at 86 Farenheit. Not many fish enjoy being at 86 Farenheit. 79 will do nothing for it. It doesnt need a substrate to breed. It just happens to fall to the bottom during it reproductive stage. If you dont have substrate it will still breed.
    Your best bet is just to keep healthy fish. Give them good water quality and good food. Fish will rarely get sick if you do that.

Most beginners, including me, used to think ich was super scary, it isnt.

3. Anicks[Onyx]

Anicks[Onyx] New Member Member

As far as I know, heat is indeed a form of treatment for ich but only raising it slightly to prevent it? No, it would not lessen your chances of your numbers necessarily. Heat doesn't kill ich, it spreads up its life cycle. So the "heat treatment" you may have read about is supposed to be VERY high temperatures. What that does is the ich life cycle is sped up so fast that it doesn't have a chance to reproduce before it dies. But this treatment is extremely hard on your fish, even if you do it right. The survivability of fish with this treatment depends on their overall hardiness and individual health. The best way to not have an ich attack is to keep your fish slime coat protected. Ich attacks when the slime coat is weak(from stress or illness) and it can get through the slime coat.
    So raising the temp. might do more harm than good if it stresses fish out and ich can get through the slime coat while their lifecycle and reproduction is sped up.

4. OP
    OP
    W

Thanks for the info. Being relatively new to this hobby I worry about ich almost everyday. I certainly don't want to deal with it and neither do my fish.

This info is great. Thanks.
    I will have to look into ways to keep slime coat intact. I understand prime helps with slime coat, I'm wondering if there is any specific food that will help too. They get flakes in the morning and half a cube of frozen brine at night which I let sit in half a cup of tank water until it separates.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2017
  5. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Don't worry about Ich! Though it's nasty, heat treatment for a little wile isn't the worst thing that can happen to most commonly kept fish. Depends on what you got, really. :) And if you don't want to brave it with the temp, Ich is probably the best-medicated illness out there with about a a metric hundred meds in every store. What fish are you keeping?

If you really want to scare yourself silly, google fish TB.

6. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

It really isn't as bad as it sounds. Relax and stop worrying. I'd be more concerned about adding things to the water that isn't necessary or raising the temperature higher than normal. Don't mess with what's been working. Even if you happen to get ich, the survival rate is very high (I'd go so far as say 100% if caught relatively early) unless you're very neglectful.

7. OP
    OP
    W

I currently have 3 Pictus, 3 mollys and a golden gourami. I think the 29 is a tad overstocked but it's temporary until the 55. The Pictus will go in that tank

Edit: Looked up fish TB. Thanks. Now I'm going to spend the next several hours obsessing over it and looking up every detail on it. Also may or may not be on the way to Walmart grabbing the best rubber gloves money can buy

Thanks.
    It appears the 20 gallon sots right at 78 and the 29 sots inbetween 77.8 and 77.5. The fish seem to be very comfortable

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2017
  8. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Actually, the Ich parasite is not in every tank in the same way that bacteria or fungai is present in each aquarium. It needs to have a host carry it into your system or It can be spread from nets and other equipment that has been in contact with an infected host.
    However, once in the tank, without a host, the parasite dies. It does not go through a dormancy stage in tropical aquariums. It can go through what appears to be a latency stage in fish who have been exposed prior to an Ich infection. The fish has a partial immunity to the parasite. But, any other stress (water quality, for instance) has the ability to allow the parasite the hold it needs to kill the fish.
    In other words, the Ich parasite is not dormant in your aquarium awaiting an entry, nor does it appear out of nowhere because your nitrates got too high. It is brought into your system.
    Here is a really great article to refer to:

9. OP
    OP
    W

Thanks for the info and the good read

10. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Most important to prevent any disease : don't overstock.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice