Question About Having A Betta Fish. Question

1. littleslayer15

littleslayer15 Member Member

I have a 55 gallon tank with 4 Zerbra danios, 3 loaches, and 2 guppies. I'm also going to get a bristlenose plecos. I know the schools aren't big enough currently so I'm going to fill the schools up. I also know that the water can't be a perfect temperature for every fish, but I keep my temperature at 75 F. I'm wondering if I'm asking for trouble if I get a betta fish. I feel like the danios will nip the betta's fin. Do you think this will be a problem? If I get around 10 danios would that help minimize them picking on the betta?

2. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Its a little cool for the betta.

3. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

You never know. Ive had males & females in large and small community tanks with no issues and with massive issues. It depends 100% on the fish.

But 75 is too cool for the betta. They really like 78-80.

4. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Yeah that is a bit cool...maybe up it to about 78-82 degrees, tops. Most bettas won't be able to single out any "target" within a school of 6 or more fish. He ppobably won't bug 'em anyway. In several tanks, ALL of my bettas eventually got along with everyone, so don't worry too much. As feeding time usually exposes them together, and also brings 'em all together as friends anyway lol...

5. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

75 is a good temperature for the fish you currently have as well as a bristlenose so it would be a big compromise to up it for a betta. Personally if you really want a betta i would do another tank. Either just a betta and snails or another big community tank with temp compatable fish.

6. Scott Lehmann

Scott Lehmann Initiate Member

From experience of having Bettas with other lager fish can be tricky they can be quite shy and be intimated to come out during feeding

7. kayla20johnson

kayla20johnson Member Member

I have 2 female Betas in my tank and they are doing great, but I don’t have the same fish as you do. Do your danios nip at the fins of your guppies?

8. OP
    OP
    littleslayer15

littleslayer15 Member Member

They leave the guppies alone, but a betta seem to have a fin thats asking to be nipped.

I also don't have enough room for another tank (I'm in a small apartment)

--edit--
    A few places I looked said bettas can be in 74 F, but it's the absolute minimum. Is this wrong?