Question about guppy fry and gravid spots

Discussion in 'Sexing Livebearers' started by WeepingShadesOfIndigo, Jun 26, 2016.

1. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

WeepingShadesOfIndigo Valued Member Member

So I have been staring at my fry as you do, when I saw that some of them have what looks to be a gravid spot. At one week old I am doubting that it is so I am wondering if it may be that I am seeing the poo? Or is it possible that at one week they are showing a gravid spot?

Leaning more to the poo theory myself but it just looks so much like a gravid spot I am questioning it.

2. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

At a week old, I doubt it's a gavid spot. More likely to be poo or simply a colour marking. Generally they all look pretty similar but you do get the occasional oddball.

3. OP
    OP
    WeepingShadesOfIndigo

Yes poo is much more likely, it seems to be inside them so I don't think its colour but with how see through they are could be digestive tract all full.
    P1010120.JPG

4. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

Oh! That's completely normal. I have some that are the same. They look a bit freaky for a while then grow out of it.

5. OP
    OP
    WeepingShadesOfIndigo

Ah good, was hoping you would say that.

Haha freaky cute! Love these lil bums. Exciting to see them every morning at lights on as they change so much. At first I thought beh guppy fry, won't do anything special for them. Once I saw them I got floating plants and a high protein feed and now am mushing up the frozen foods and am generally a fish butler at this point.

Thanks for taking a look and setting me straight on my odd question!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice