Question about growing plants/fish outside

1. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Fellow fishlore member fbn and I were just talking about growing plants/mystery snails outdoors during the summer and were wondering, how do you "sanitize" them before selling them?

2. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I sanitize plants by using a teaspoon of alum, spice found in the baking canning area of most grocery stores, in a gallon bucket. This kills almost all inverts and their eggs.

Plants are dunked in for about 30 seconds then rinsed off.

Inverts are moved indoors for about a week, and observed, not the best, but it is what I do.

3. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Thanks Dino. We thought you would answer :p

Would you say that plants grow a lot better outdoors than indoors?

4. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Indeed they do.
    I keep land tropicals as well, and even though it stay warm and humid while they are in the fishhouse over winter, they always do better outside.

Several years ago I did a 35 gallon tub with java moss.
    I started with a handful and harvested over 20 pounds by summers end.

5. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Wow! That's a lot of moss!

I want to get more into plants and I think growing them in the summer outside is probably the best way to go about doing so.

6. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Let me know when you are ready to get started and I will help you were I can.

7. TrogdorSlayer22 Member Member

Wow, what a coincidence, I just set up a tub outside and dirted it yesterday! I put dwarf sag, jungle val, an amazon sword, water lettuce, and I am gonna put java moss in there tomorrow (thanks Dino for the idea!).....

Good to know the above info about sanitizing the plants^^^^

8. fbn Well Known Member Member

I think I may do some moss and wisteria outside, also.

The snails: I breed and sell mystery snails, but my babies grow insanely SLOW! I have babies that are a few months old, but they are still pea sized. I gave Dillon a few snails from that batch and his are marble sized. I tried upping the temperature in the tank with no luck. So, I was thinking that they may actually grow if I were to put them outside in tubs during winter.

Dino: Would the parasites die during shipping, anyways? I ship my snails wrapped in wet paper towels and a miniscule amount of extra water in the bag, so wouldn't all water dwelling parasites die? I guess I could also look for some medications that are snail safe.

9. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

External parasites would probably die off, internal ones would not be harmed by shipping.

10. fbn Well Known Member Member

Would the chances of getting internal parasites be heightened if they are outside?

11. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, many internal parasites travel using wet bird feet.

12. fbn Well Known Member Member

Thanks Dino!

If I do this, I guess I will just have to buy some snail friendly meds.

13. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

When is it okay to starting putting plants outside? Once there are no more frosts?

14. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I generally wait until May 1st.
    I prefer it to be no more nights with a temp under 40F.

15. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Attached Files: